Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, gotta question for you.

I have just dragged my car for the first time down the 1/4 mile dragstrip last night and the best I managed was 16.04 seconds. I had been hoping to get under 16 seconds but no go. I have the standard 5.0 with HO inlet and E7 heads with the only mods being headers + exhaust and a larger cold air intake with a K&N filter. The car weighs about 1800kg's which is about 3960 pounds I think.
My question is, will installing GT40P heads, an Explorer inlet manifold and a 65mm TB take off a few tenths of a second down the quarter mile or am I dreaming? What could that combo do for me?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
That is kinda heavy, most fox boby cars weigh 3100-3400. The only way to be sure about the weight is to take across a truck scale.I could also be a tuning issue? What is your timing set at? The stock 10* is a bit conservative, I heard of people running 14* on premium with no problems. Good luck...

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
dollarbill said:
That is kinda heavy, most fox boby cars weigh 3100-3400. The only way to be sure about the weight is to take across a truck scale.I could also be a tuning issue? What is your timing set at? The stock 10* is a bit conservative, I heard of people running 14* on premium with no problems. Good luck...
That's waaay heavy, got a lot of stereo equipment?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is heavy. It's a luxury model and comes with all sorts of goodies that I am unwilling to strip out! :shigrin
The fuel I run is 98 Octane and the timing is pretty much stock.
Will that combo of heads etc take half second of a 1/4 mile pass do you think?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Vic said:
Yes it is heavy. It's a luxury model and comes with all sorts of goodies that I am unwilling to strip out! :shigrin
The fuel I run is 98 Octane and the timing is pretty much stock.
Will that combo of heads etc take half second of a 1/4 mile pass do you think?

Oh! It's a Fairmont.

Everyone has their favorites. I've had good luck with Edelbrock.

WHat year is the car?

·
Registered
192 Posts
98 octane?.......

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Dude, if your running 98 octane, pump up the timing to 14* or more and see how it runs. To answer your question, yes the parts you described will help but a new cam and lifters will be the icing on the cake. You should search the other forums for better suggestions. With that much wieght you should look into more extreme mods (power adder) if you want to really fly.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If that car is 1 of 475....I would not be drag racing it....

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Notice he's in Australia guys?

Yes, the Explorer heads and intake should give you a 40+HP hit. Take the time to degree your stock camshaft so that you can get advice on the best ICL to install the cam - mine was 4° advanced!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was under the impression that the stock cam in these HO motors was a pretty decent cam but was unaware that I could adjust the stock cam. What is ICL?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Installed Center Line = ICL. Yeah, I think the stock HO cams are good cams. I have an 87 Speed Density stock cam in mine - measured out to 219°intake/212.5°exhaust duration @.050" lift and made 277RWHP/330RWTQ installed at a 109° ICL - which is 4° advanced from the stock "straight up" grind. My firwst dyno with a stock engine that I ported the lower intake on was 219RWHP/290RWTQ

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Ga-Pony said:
98 octane?.......
He's in Australia, everyplace gets better gas than the swill we use here!

The Fairmonts got the HO engine?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It has "HO" stamped on the inlet manifold so I use that to describe the motor. As far as I know its the standard 5.0 motor out of the 86 - 93 Fox body Mustangs with only minor ancillary changes for Australian models.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Vic said:
It has "HO" stamped on the inlet manifold so I use that to describe the motor. As far as I know its the standard 5.0 motor out of the 86 - 93 Fox body Mustangs with only minor ancillary changes for Australian models.
Cool!

you should be able to knock your times down by at least 3 secs fairly easily . ..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A 351 swap? I wish I had the money! :nogrinner

I wouldn't ming getting my time down to low 15's if possible. Hell even a shift kit might knock a few tenths of a second off a 1/4 mile pass...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just to be honest with you...I would not go and spend a bunch of money just to get yourself into the 15's...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.