Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me some advice on what roller rockers to get. I dunno wether to go with 1.6's or 1.7's and which brand to go with. If you can give me a link to some that would be great. And not to expensive either...
Thanks

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
If you install 1.7s you have fewer cam choices to buy later, i would recommend 1.6s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Crane 1.7s

HEY BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THOSE 1.7S IF YOU HAVE STOCK PISTONS YOU WILL HIT VALVE TO PISTON,I BUILT A SPEEDPRO PISTON ENGINE E303 CAM AND GT40P HEADS ,CRANE BEEHIVE SPRINGS,ANOTHER PROBLEM ,IF YOU ARE NOT SET UP FOR IT IS COIL BINDING OF THE VALVE SPRINGS.THOSE 1.7 CRANES REALLY LETS THAT ENGINE RUN FREE.BUT MATCH ALL OF YOUR COMPONENTS BEFORE YOU TRY,VERY EXSPENSIVE IF NOT.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok well then i'll just run 1.6's then and save the trouble. Thanks guys for the info... any recomondations for which brand?

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Pretty much all extruded aluminum roller rocker arms are the same. If I remember correctly Fords are made by Crane.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey i wouldn't worry about going with the 1.7's. I have a 347 stroker with a .608 lift cam and while waiting for the new heads and 1.6's to come i put the stock heads back on with the old 1.7's i had on my stock 302. runs great, (and by the way i got it to idle at 800rpm) but anyway the 1.7's don't limit your cam choices, they put a little more lift on whatever cam you get. Your 87 has valve reliefs in the pistons, don't be scared of interference- it's a very common combo. (mid 5 cam and 1.7's). the only down side to 1.7's is they wear the valve guides prematurely. on stock heads i would do it- valve guides are cheap, but on new heads i would get 1.6's

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well thanks for the info... i do plan on getting new aluminum heads eventually though, so ill probably stick with the 1.6's.

·
Registered
62 Posts
FWIW, I put some GT40 iron heads on mine, and transferred the stamped 1.6 rockers from my E7s onto the new heads.

Later I decided that I should upgrade them to 1.7 roller rockers, since that is what Ford puts on those heads from the factory on the 93 Cobras.

Anyway, I got them installed, and I noticed no difference except maybe a little bit in the 5k-6k rpm range. I don't have access to a dyno, but just by feel I couldn't really tell any difference.

--

'87 GT, still speed-density. K&N, Explorer non-EGR intake & TB, GT40 irons, Crane 1.7 RRs, BBK long-tubers + high-flow cat pipe, Flowmasters. Soon to be twin-turbo'd (I hope).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.