Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im looking into doing a head swap and along with that im wanting to put 1.6 roller rockers on also. my question is how do i go about setting and adjusting the roller rockers and were is a good place to get new valve cover since i know the stockers wont work with the new 1.6's

G

·
Ok im looking into doing a head swap and along with that im wanting to put 1.6 roller rockers on also. my question is how do i go about setting and adjusting the roller rockers and were is a good place to get new valve cover since i know the stockers wont work with the new 1.6's

stock valve covers will work with 1.6's......

How to adjust.......

1. Remove the valve covers, and pick a cylinder you are going to set the pre-load on. Only do one cylinder at a time.

2. Rotate the engine in its normal direction of rotation (clockwise) and watch the exhaust valve on that particular cylinder. When the exhaust valve begins to open, stop and adjust that cylinder's intake rocker arm.

3. To adjust, back off the intake rocker arm adjusting nut and remove any tension from the push rod. Wait a minute or two for that hydraulic lifter to return to a neutral position. The spring inside the lifter will move the push rod seat up against the retaining lock, if you give it time to do so.

4. Twist the intake push rod with your fingers while tightening down the rocker arm. When you feel a slight resistance to the turning of the push rod, you are at "Zero Lash". Turn the adjusting nut down one half to three-quarters of a turn from that point for street applications. Use 1/8 to 1/4 turn for race applications. Lock the adjuster into position. The intake is now adjusted properly.

5. Continue to turn the engine, watching that same intake valve/rocker you just set. It will go to full open and then begin to close. When it is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust rocker arm on that particular cylinder. Loosen the exhaust rocker arm and follow the same procedure described before in steps 3 and 4 to adjust this rocker arm.

6. Both valves on this cylinder are now adjusted, and you can move on to your next cylinder and follow the same procedure again.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks reggie for all the great advise this should help out great now for the 1.7 rollers would i need new covers i seen some were on later model stangs (early 80's) they actually came with 1.7?)

G

·
thanks reggie for all the great advise this should help out great now for the 1.7 rollers would i need new covers i seen some were on later model stangs (early 80's) they actually came with 1.7?)

depending on the rocker i have used 1.7's with stock valve covers

just removed the baffle and a little die grinder time and they fit just fine......

·
Registered
180 Posts
can u put ROLLER ROCKER ON A STOCK 89 GT H.O IF SO WAT R GOOD BRAND AND RATIO

·
Registered
552 Posts
what size push rods will i need upgrading heads and puttin on 3/8 harland sharp 1.6 roller rockers

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
You can put roller rockers on a stock engine, no problem.

You would still use the stock diameter rods, which are 5/16. Just get hardened rods instead of stock replacements or even worse, the stock rods. Stock rods will bend... save yourself a headache and get the right rods the first time.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You can put roller rockers on a stock engine, no problem.

You would still use the stock diameter rods, which are 5/16. Just get hardened rods instead of stock replacements or even worse, the stock rods. Stock rods will bend... save yourself a headache and get the right rods the first time.

yea, im getting hardened pushrods..

i just heads when going to aluminum heads with roller rockers youll need the longer pushrods

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.