Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to have my new wheels and tires installed this morning on my '03 Cobra; however there is a bolt that goes to the suspension under the fender that prehibited the wheel/tire from mounting on the hub. I call www.latemodelrestoration.com this morning, and they said I needed a special bolt.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you correct the issue to install the wheel and tire.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
you need low profile irs bolts or wheel spacers. easiest thing, if you want the wheels on right now, grind the existing bolt heads down a bit. thats what i did and just replaced them when i recieved my low profile irs bolts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've got the low pprofile IRS bolts coming tomorrow afternoon. They told me to not put spacers on due to the possibility of hitting the fender lip by moving the tire out.

Even with the bolt change, just thinking about it, how much clearance do you have? It sure looks tight.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
well i shaved mine down a little and never scrubbed. then i put low profile bolts and never scrubbed. then i put 1/4" wheel spacers just to give the car a wider stance and its never hit the fender lip and my cars lowered 2".

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Most have to get the IRS bolts and the spacers. try the bolts first and if it's a no go, then you will have to get the spacers. with my stock irs bolts with 17X9 stockers with 555R 315's, it had maybe a 1/4 clearance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The spacer in addition sounds like the way to ensure there is enough clearance. Well, I'll be installing the low profile IRS bolts tomorrow evening, and then take my Cobra to the tire shop to install the new wheels and tires. We had talked about spacers this morning: however we wanted to hear what Late Model Restoration had to say first.

I plan on lowering my Cobra also, so I want to make sure this wheel/tire application fits the way it should.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts