Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stopped at my normal gas station this morning and am happily pumping away (7cents off on Premium on Tuesdays) when I notice they've re-logo'd all the pumps. They now say "93 Octane (with 10% ethanol)"

!!!!?????!!!!!!

I immediately stopped pumping. I'm sure it's a non-issue with a stock car, but how is that additive going to affect my 93-Octane-tuned pride and joy? Should I shy away from it, or is this OK?? Does affect the actual octane rating?

I need some gas experts!! um-gasoline, that is.

EDIT: Yeah, let me add that being in the sunny south, we don't run winter mixes or such. I guess maybe this is common elsewhere????

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
ultraclyde said:
Stopped at my normal gas station this morning and am happily pumping away (7cents off on Premium on Tuesdays) when I notice they've re-logo'd all the pumps. They now say "93 Octane (with 10% ethanol)"

!!!!?????!!!!!!

I immediately stopped pumping. I'm sure it's a non-issue with a stock car, but how is that additive going to affect my 93-Octane-tuned pride and joy? Should I shy away from it, or is this OK?? Does affect the actual octane rating?

I need some gas experts!! um-gasoline, that is.

EDIT: Yeah, let me add that being in the sunny south, we don't run winter mixes or such. I guess maybe this is common elsewhere????
I remember a couple years back they were adding Ethanol to gas, but for some reason stopped it. Up here in north country we get summer mixes to keep down the smog. I think you guys have it year round.
Funny because I read that it takes more energy to produce Ethanol from the start that regular gas.
Did you happen to check the manual on Ethanol in these cars?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't yet, but I will at lunch. My concern is the advanced tune. I'd bet that if it was stock, it would have to be able to run it, probabaly per some gov't reg. But, with the aftermarket tune, I worry. Now I'm thinking- how many stations are selling the same thing here and just not advertising??

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Should not be an issue. The pumps around here have said "Up to 10% ethanol added" and has had the stickers on the pumps for as long as I can remember.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
It use to be only the cheaper places. When speedway or clark would be 10 cents cheaper than amoco shell it was because speedway/clark and such used 10% ethanol. Now Im pretty sure its government mandated they all contain 10%. I want to say this was about 10-15 years ago

·
Registered
622 Posts
aren't all the "top tier" gasolines 10% ethanol?

www.toptiergas.com

pertinent info:
TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada

1.3.1.2 Base Fuel. The base fuel shall conform to ASTM D 4814 and shall contain commercial fuel grade ethanol conforming to ASTM D 4806. All gasoline blend stocks used to formulate the base fuel shall be representative of normal U.S. refinery operations and shall be derived from conversion units downstream of distillation. Butanes and pentanes are allowed for vapor pressure adjustment. The use of chemical streams is prohibited. The base fuel shall have the following specific properties after the addition of ethanol:
  1. Contain enough denatured ethanol such that the actual ethanol content is no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent.
  2. Contain no less than 8 volume percent olefins. At least 75% of the olefins shall be derived from FCC gasoline as defined by CARB (advisory letter, April 19, 2001).
  3. Contain no less than 28 volume percent aromatics.
  4. Contain no less than 48 mg/kg sulfur. At least 60% of the sulfur shall be derived from FCC blend stock.
  5. Produce a 90% evaporation distillation temperature no less than 290°F.
  6. Produce IVD no less than 500 mg averaged over all intake valves.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Premium never used to have it. I think it was around 97' that all the grades went to 10% enthanol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.