Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone walk me through how to disconnect the salt and pepper connectors without damaging them? I know its probably simple, but they seem stuck and I don't want to damage them. I'm running down the idle surge checklist. The idle is fine in the morning when I first start the car, but every other warm start after that the idle swings until I give it gas for 10-15 secs, any ideas?

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
If you don't already have the 10 pins connectors removed from the plastic holder on the back side of the stock intake do that to help gain some length to the 10 pins so that you can get to the plastic clips om the side of the 10 pin connectors.

To get the 2 halves apart you need to slide a small screwdriver under the clip on the side and pull the 2 halves apart.

They could be stuck together so you'll need to wiggle and pull at the same time with a small screw driver under the clip to get them to come apart.

You might have a short 3 or 4 inch extension harness and you'll need to remove that using the same method as above so that you can actually clean the ends of the 10 pin connectors.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea i have the dealer installed extensions so there are actually 4 of them, i picked up some contact cleaner and dielectric grease today. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i got it, i was prying when i should have been squeezing. fixed the idle too for now. seems the car didnt like the .98 tps voltage i set. i dropped it a little and it idles better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Salt and Pepper work

this is really late but it might help someone else. My 92 LX 5L was having a flucuating idle and randomly flashing "CHECK ENGINE" and "AIR BAG" lights. After checking for vacuum leaks I went after these connectors. After trying to disconnect these several different ways i did this and it was really easy.
1. disconnect battery
2. remove the 4 TORX screws holding the top plate of the intake manifold off, and remove the top plate.
3. unhook the plastic holder of the salt & pepper shakers from the top of the manifold lip.
4. push down on the whole thing and unhook the bottom of the plastic holder. i had to use a flat screwdriver to push down enough to unhook it.
5. Once the holder is free, its easy now. Just use your thumb and index finger to squeeze the four tabs. Wiggle up on it at the same time. Dont pry under these tabs with a screwdriver, you PUSH DOWN on the tabs. There is no need to break anything, as I have read elsewhere.
6. I used a very small jewelers flat blade screwdriver. An xacto knife would work also to pry open the tops of the male pins.
7. I sprayed using CRC brand QD electronic cleaner from NAPA. Let it dry, as it will pool.
8. I took the same small flat blade and tried to close the female holes a little bit without breaking it. Fill the female holes with di-electric grease.
9. Snap the connectors back together. Hook the holder back underneath and on top. Put the plate back on.

This helped my idle - seems to have fixed it. However it did not fix my random CHECK ENGINE and AIR BAG lights.
Hope this helps...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts