Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I popped my track racing cherry last night...
I went in not knowing jack about what I was gonna do, and how the whole thing worked so I knew this wasn't for real for me, I was really just trying it out. I didn't do any race prep, spare tire/subwoofer everything was still in my trunk. Full gas tank, didn't lower my rear tire pressure, and was using my very bald street tires. So the first time I went I got...
reaction: 1.077
60ft: 2.627

mph: 76.53

ET: 10.012

This was on a very very bad 1/8 mile parking lot that they used as a track
I drove the first time really not sure of where any of the exit lanes, finish line, anything like that was at. Wasn't expecting the tree to start so soon, just everything was new to me...oh, and I had the Traction Control on...
Second time I went I drove with the traction control off (never ever ever done this before) and my times were awful because when I shifted into second, my back tires started fish tailing and I got scared and just let off the gas so I wouldn't crash or anything...
reaction: .998
60ft: 2.594
mph: 56.60
et: 10.850

So now that I know, I know I need to practice my take offs with the traction control off. I'm also thinking that using newer tires with eliminate some of that fishtailing...but I really need to learn how to launch a lot faster. Any ideas, hints, comments please...

·
Banned
2,188 Posts
Congrats on breaking the cherry. I would laugh but I believe you read my post last week. It's a learning experience and the adrenaline is pumping so much you can't think straight, but it gets much easier the more you run. I plan on going back on Wednesday, minus the subs in the trunk (@100lbs.). Hopefully I can hit the ¼ mile soon, but they are 2+ hours away, 1/8 is right down the road.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
stage shallow on the line, and when you see the lights turn yellow, put it in gear and take off, by the time you get everything ready the lights green. At least in a manual you sit in neutral, once you se the lights go yellow, throw it in first and take off, auto start in neutral, same thing. 1/4 tank of gazs would be fine, throw in some octane booster. Gut the car, speakers, spare, rear seats.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
lcurle said:
stage shallow on the line, and when you see the lights turn yellow, put it in gear and take off, by the time you get everything ready the lights green. At least in a manual you sit in neutral, once you se the lights go yellow, throw it in first and take off, auto start in neutral, same thing. 1/4 tank of gazs would be fine, throw in some octane booster. Gut the car, speakers, spare, rear seats.
Its not a good idea to start in nuetral in a auto, especially of your using a stock tranny. Your better off power braking.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know where the majority of my problems were...the tires...they were really bad...i switched them out saturday morning with some good ones...went out street racing at night...and yeah...didn't lose a single race...got some pretty good videos of this little civic taking out cars like it's cool...until i raced it...hahahaha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.