Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting a build on a 4.6 this fall. Im in a high performance engine building program in college. I will be doing all of the work myself and it will not cost me labor. So heres my question... can a build a short block capable of supporting roughly 1000 hp for $3000. $3000 is my limit for the short block and keep in mind I wont have to pay for any machine work/blueprinting/balancing. any luck with the stroker kits guys? Is the Iron block strong enough? Im looking for answers from guys who have been down this route allready I am a mechanic by trade so dont worry about answers being too technical. Just getting into building fords need some hints. power adders will be involved either nitous or a tt set up so pref. a reccomedation of a kit with low compression pistions.

G

·
1000HP short block for $3k:scratchchin lets sea:
good steel crank @$1000.00, good set of rods @$1500.00, pistons @$600.00, rings and bearings, @$200.00, H/V oil pump @$100.00....Im gonna' say No but your gonna be close;)......oh, and dont forget all the special thermal and oil shead coatings that are gonna' be needed to make that 1000 HP engine live, @$500.00:gringreen

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
superchargers or twin turbos can get quite expensive. as far as i know twin turbo setups are at least $5k and the cheapest non intercooled supercharger setup that i have seen was a procharger for $3.5k.

·
Registered
826 Posts
go to www.50restro.com and you can get a 03/04 cobra short block built capable to 900hp for 2,400.

G

·
guys, I think your missing his point:
he wants to build it himself as part of his college training and is only concerned wth building the "short block"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The class is a four part series and the first is rotating assemblies followed by cylinder heads then forced induction and last dyno tuning. Yes the first semester is will mainly consist of putting together a shortblock.
But, I have seen some of the stroker kits that say they can handle around 1000 hp that were priced a little over 2k.
Yes im aware turbo setups are expensive Ive owned turbo and s/c cars im not new to this but thanks.
are you saying no 1000hp shortblock for $3k?

G

·
are you saying no 1000hp shortblock for $3k?

:scratchchinif you have to pay "racers net" on the parts, than No, I dont think you can....but if you can find some sponsors and get the parts for "jobber" (or less), than I think you might, but again, it's gonna' be close, esp if your gonna' use quality parts,ie: Oliver rods, Diamond piston's, Kellogg or Scat cranks the list goes on, just avoid the "cheap" companys like Eagle, JE/SLP or your $3K investment will go BOOM rather quickly;)....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for some companies to look for... very helpful.
Randy and honest question.... 4v 4.6 or for the money should i go pushrod. i originally wanted to do a mod motor but the thought of a cheaper/easier to mod 347 is tempting... any thoughts?

G

·
Thanks for some companies to look for... very helpful.
Randy and honest question.... 4v 4.6 or for the money should i go pushrod. i originally wanted to do a mod motor but the thought of a cheaper/easier to mod 347 is tempting... any thoughts?

well, good question....I grew-up durring the Muscle Car era and raced "pushrod" engines for many-many years...when the Modular engines 1st came out, most thought oh-no, what is this ****:headscratch: ....but I thought differently and jumped into the Modular program wth both feet and I DON'T REGRET ANY OF IT....I think the Modular engine is far superior to the pushrod engines in many ways, so Imm'a gonna' say "GO MODULAR":bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Gotta agree with Randy, it is cheaper to build a push-rod motor, but the OHC motors offer so much more that the cost is well worth it. Little things like driveability, reliability, and realtime engine monitoring, ah, ain't technology grand?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WHAT COBRA 4.6 PARTS are the strong points? these stock 03 cobra guya claim 900 plus on factory internals!?

G

·
WHAT COBRA 4.6 PARTS are the strong points? these stock 03 cobra guya claim 900 plus on factory internals!?

no-way as those pistons won't last much above 650HP, I've seen way to many distorted in the bore from trying to make more boost....
ALL Cobras and most 4.6 DOHC's have good steel cranks that will support alot of HP and these cranks are made by Kellogg too..... 03/04 have pretty good Manley con-rods but I doubt they'll last in an 800+ HP engine and as I stated the pistons are still a weak link....so, strong points are the block and crank for 1000HP but thats it....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just wondering randy what kind of power you making to get your car to 11.9's. My mustang buddies around here have close tosimilar times with pushrod motors.

G

·
just wondering randy what kind of power you making to get your car to 11.9's. My mustang buddies around here have close tosimilar times with pushrod motors.
I cant really say what the #'s were as we never put mine on a dyno when it had the 4 speed in it and ran 11.90's...... now when I switched to a C4 we did dyno it and it was @280H.....
my mods were many:ie; SVO intake and SVO heads wth PI cams, Cobra block and crank, Manley Rods, Ross pistons, MSD/Moroso ign, l/t headers, Canton 7qt pan and windage tray, Meizere w/p and some of this and some of that;)

·
Registered
826 Posts
randy your running 11.9's w/ 280hp??...now that is kewl...i have over that hp rating...i was wondering what kind of suspension are you running...to get your ride to hook up so well???

G

·
my car is 3180 wth me in-it and Im pushing 280lbs so it has been gutted somewhat:scratchchin it still contains a nearly stock interior wth an 8pt S&W c/m rollbar and lightweight aftermarket front seats and a rearseat delete....
frt suspension is an AJE c/m "K" member and tubular "A" arm, KYB adjustable struts wth coil-overs, caster/camber plates, bumpsteer kit...
rear suspension has a S&W anti rollbar, M/M adjustabe uppers and lowers wth spherical upper bushing, QA-1 adjustabe shocks and Eibach drag springs wth an air bag in the right rear....and a little of this n' that;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.