Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the amperage output rating of the stock OEM alternator on a 4.6L SOHC with no mods. My mustang is a 1999 model.

Half the part stores I call tell me its a 110A and the other half tell me it's a 130A. I suspect it could be due to whatever they have. Nevertheless the difference in cost is huge 180 bucks vs 300. I don't have money to waste so I don't feel like paying for what I don't need but I also don't want to underpower the electrical system.

Also do I need a special tool to relax the serpetine belt? It looks like there is a plate in front of the tensioner designed for a metal bar to pry on. Is this what I do cause the standard square bolt is almost behind this metal plate.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
No special tool is required to release the serpentine belt, just a 3/8 drive ratchet.

As for the alternator, go for the 130A for the extra capacity in case you ever decide to upgrade your stereo or anything like that.

Or depending on what's wrong with it, you may be able to repair the alternator. Ford Alternator upgrade & repair kits, Quick Start Rebuild Kits

That site has every part needed to completely rebuild an alternator for really good prices. The only thing is that in order to replace the rectifier pack or stator, you need a pretty heavy duty soldering iron.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alternator upgrade to 130

Do I need to change the cabling from the stock alternator to accommodate the new 130A alternator? And where do I find a good alternator? Pep-boys? Autozone?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
FYI there isn't ANY chain auto part house that's stocks a 130 amp factory replacement, they MAY say that on the box BUT it's not the case.. I had a friend that did some research on this, he went to Napa,Advance.Auto Zone,Pep Boys etc.. and had a clerk bench test an oem replacement for him right out of the box, NONE produced 130, and Many didn't even have 110, that being said don't spend that extra money..
The best Alt's are made by an American guy, his company is called Start and Charge!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
413 Posts
PA

If you want a 130 go with PA Performance, what year is your car, mine takes a 1/2" drive on the belt tensioner.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
PA's small case is Not 130!

·
Registered
413 Posts

The website shows a 130 and a 200. Did I miss something? Do they not put out either??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.