Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
91 GT with AOD and 112,000 on the clock. Tranny seems fine other than the usual complaints about a stock AOD working normally with early shifts and mushy shifts. It kicks down pretty well but if I go WOT from like 25mph so it kicks down to first, the shift back to second is pretty darn mushy- rpm's kinda float for about a second before it grabs the new gear. From what I have read & heard about the AOD this might be normal?I am about to order a Lentech Street Terminator valve body, next is 3.73 ring/pinion & a B&M console hammer shifter. Now for the questions::?:
Am I wasting my $ putting a valve body into the 112k AOD? My thought is that by firming up the shifts through the valve body the tranny will generate less heat/wear but will it live after the 3.73's start sending much more torque back and forth?

·
Registered
897 Posts
If you are planning on keeping it with the AOD and eventually planning on overhauling it.... it will be great to experiment.:naughty

A note of caution, check that the Throttle Valve cable, attached to the accelerator linkage underneath de TB, has a metal bushing installed. Driving the car without this cable installed creates a failure of the 3-4 clutches. You could also change the shifting points by adjusting the length of this cable but, make sure it stays attached.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you do end up getting that Lentech Valve Body, be sure to post your opinions and exeriences with it. I've been debating getting one of them for a while now. I put a shift kit in my AOD (89 with 115K) a couple thousand miles ago and it has made a huge difference. I would however, love to be able to control shifting through all 4 gears instead of going from 1 to 3 with the stock valve body.
So good luck and be sure to let us know what you think of it.

Patrick

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking the same thing- valve body will buy me some time then get the AOD rebuilt when I can. I will be sure to post how the install goes as well as how the valve body works. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was looking at a PA manual/auto vlave body. I have the hammer shifter it is ok but right now i have to push forword and then pull back to get it in 2nd. and it down shifts by self at 25 (sucks) I have called B&M and asked them if i got a manual valve body what to do so i dont have to make 2 movements to get to sencond. They said there is a pin that i need to remove. I have looked and do not see it. So i called them back to see if they have directions and they told me they dont have any to do that. Does anyone know or has anyone done this mod to a hammer shifter?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry to bump and old thread but I just had a few questions. Since the valve body allows you to change your shift patterns is there anyway to get a comprable intertior guide? I mean like on my shifter it like 1-D-OD.... Can you get on like 1-2-3 guide...or does it work like (this was taken from another post):

When the Overdrive Delete switch is turned on your tranny operates as a 3 speed transmission. Basically (1st) is 1st (D) is 2nd and (O) is 3rd.

When the Overdrive Delete switch is off your transmission shifts as stock where (1st) is 1st (D) is drive and (O) is overdrrive.

Also when you don't feel like shifting is there anyway to just put it in overdrive and drive like normal? And if you get the valve body should I still buy a shift kit? Hope you guys understand this.....

Thanks,
Jimmy

·
Registered
75 Posts
That on off OD switch is only on AODEs, not AODs. So AODs are limited to 3 different patters.

Factory Stock:
OD-D-1

Factory PI (some years some models (no mustings, just panthers) rare):
OD-D-2

Customized VB and tranny body:
OD-2-1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.