Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of mods do yall have that are running in the 12s on the 1/4 mile. My best time I ran was like a 13.48 or 13.49 last time I went. When I ran I had the following mods

Detroit rocker cams
4.10 gears
Air raid cold air Intake
Magna flow exhaust
Throttle body space( lol)
And sct tuner

I have now have added
Pypes 1-5/8” long tube headers
And Catted x pipe

I have auto trans, what should I work on?

·
Registered
10,885 Posts
supercharger

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Here's a list of my mods:

I ran the time in my sig with a 1/4 tank of gas and with the front passenger seat, rear seat, spare wheel, trunk mat, and trunk contents removed (110lb weight reduction plus gas).

·
Registered
10,885 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
supercharger
[/QUOTE

I ran the time in my sig with a 1/4 tank of gas and with the front passenger seat, rear seat, spare wheel, trunk mat, and trunk contents removed (110lb weight reduction plus gas).
I ran the 13.48-13.49 with the passenger seat and the contents in trunk out. Maybe more weight reduction? I also had a bad catalytic converter at the time. Not sure if that messed anything up

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Also I have a seat shaker in my car. Did your have one? I left that in last time

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
I ran the 13.48-13.49 with the passenger seat and the contents in trunk out. Maybe more weight reduction? I also had a bad catalytic converter at the time. Not sure if that messed anything up
Bad cat can be a killer. What is your 60’ time? I’m betting it’s the driving more so than the weight. Weight reduction on a street car is overrated. It takes a bunch (hundreds of lbs) removed to notice much and there’s not all that much that you can remove on a street car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bad cat can be a killer. What is your 60’ time? I’m betting it’s the driving more so than the weight. Weight reduction on a street car is overrated. It takes a bunch (hundreds of lbs) removed to notice much and there’s not all that much that you can remove on a street car.
I don’t remember my 60’ from the 13.48-13.49. I have one from a 13.5688 and it was 2.1730 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
I don’t remember my 60’ from the 13.48-13.49. I have one from a 13.5688 and it was 2.1730 🤷‍♂️
The first sixty feet will make or break a 1/4 mile run. Slicks and a higher rpm launch will result in a faster time than most if not all bolt-on mods. The old adage is a tenth of a second reduced off of the 60’ time will result in 1.5 tenths off of the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Once ran a 13.01 quarter in my '69 Dart Swinger 340 4 speed, 3.91 rear, worn sticky recaps of softish rubber. Once got a 13.66 in my '65 GTO with later model 400RA, 4 speed, 4.10 rear, good L60-14 rear tires. It was the '70s.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
12.48 with only Steeda tune and CAI and Solo cat back w/ high flow cats. Spinning most of the way on street tires.
You and @KarsonS197 need to compare notes such as what RPM you’re leaving and shift points.
That’s a full second faster than the magazine guys are getting. A second is a bunch.
Here’s some “real people’s” times

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
sig is not showing up
You need to click on the down arrow to the right to expand it. BTW, my 60' was 1.88 and my previous best time running 170lb heavier (no temporary 110lb weight reduction and more fuel) was 12.67 @ 108.61.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
What tires?
Nearly new street radials. I'd practiced the launch a few times beforehand on a quiet isolated road and found that ~2000rpm plus rolling onto the throttle was the "sweet spot". I reckon a pair of drag radials at the back could help me knock off a couple of tenths as I've seen other 3V S197s with less power than mine run quicker times.
Getting an 05-09 GT into the 12's is child's play but getting into the 11's without a power adder is a whole different ballgame.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Nearly new street radials. I'd practiced the launch a few times beforehand on a quiet isolated road and found that ~2000rpm plus rolling onto the throttle was the "sweet spot". I reckon a pair of drag radials at the back could help me knock off a couple of tenths as I've seem other 3V S197s with less power than mine run quicker times.
Getting an 05-09 GT into the 12's is child's play but getting into the 11's without a power adder is a whole different ballgame.
I think if I were going to buy a dedicated set of racing tires a bias ply would be the way to go as far as bang for buck. Nothing is ever good at doing two things. A drag radial wouldn’t be a “good” street tire or a “good” drag tire. It’d be so so at both. Get a bias ply with the tallest sidewall that will fit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The first sixty feet will make or break a 1/4 mile run. Slicks and a higher rpm launch will result in a faster time than most if not all bolt-on mods. The old adage is a tenth of a second reduced off of the 60’ time will result in 1.5 tenths off of the 1/4 mile.
Nearly new street radials. I'd practiced the launch a few times beforehand on a quiet isolated road and found that ~2000rpm plus rolling onto the throttle was the "sweet spot". I reckon a pair of drag radials at the back could help me knock off a couple of tenths as I've seen other 3V S197s with less power than mine run quicker times.
ive got an auto trans any way I would be able to launch at a higher Rpm?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts