Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here is the deal. I am in the process of fixing up mine and my grandads 65' 289 coupe with a auto. I dont wanna spend thousands of dollars on the motor or well I do but I cant right now. I would love to get the car into the 12's but how much am I looking at spending. I need suspension work now so What should I do with that and what should I do engine wise to be able to get into the 12's? Any help would be greatly appreciated trying to get this done within a couple of months though. Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
44 Posts
What's your budget? Heads are always a good choice if you are going to eventually increase the performance around them. Start with the rear end and work your way to the engine compartment. I did the opposite and have spent quite a pretty penny. Is the car a 289 C code or K code? If C code change to 4 barrel and change intake and camshaft. If K code only changing the heads and cam would do wonders. I would also look into, as I said, changing the ring/pinion in the rear end to like 3.80 gears for the solid take off you are looking for.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um not sure on the budget right now. Just depends on how much the bodywork is going to end up costing. It has a 2 barrel right now so im guessing C code? Is there a kind of all in one kit that I could buy engine wise? What do I need to get for the rear end? Thats not my specialty. How much money do you think Im looking at to see if a 12 sec. car is in my grasps?

·
Registered
44 Posts
You could look into buying an Edelbrock power package or the Holley Street Avenger power packages. Both would bring that little ol 289 to life. They are both proven to produce over 300 HP in a relatively stock engine. You can get the Edelbrock power package top end kit EDEL 2091 for about $1800. This is proven to produce 347HP on a 302 ford small block. The Holley system you have to buy seperately, however, it is supposed to produce about the same horsepower. Cost around 1500-2000. I would say around $3000 would put you well into the area you want to be provided the machine shop you find to do your rear end gears doesn't charge an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My problem is the rear end. I have no clue of what i need or who makes it or how hard it is to put in. Im more of a do it yourself guy.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Youre probably looking at a minimuim of 5K if you can be thrifty if you keep the 289. A much easier way would be to stroke it or go with abigger engine. If you keep the automatic youre going to need ALOT of stall and at least 4.10s out back. Gonna take ALOT of cam, ALOT of RPM, and you will need forged pistons and aftermarket rods and good bolts or youre going to have some pretty twisted peices of steel pretty quickly. Good luck.:bigthumbsup

A supercharger or more cubes would be easier, or theres always nitrous. Im just assuming that you want to stay naturally aspirated. Its not really doable in a streetable car with a stock 289 block though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well what kind of 1/4 mile times can be reachable? With like the edelbrock package and a little more work on other things? I dont want to use nitrous.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Probably low 14s with a good converter and gears:wavey

13s could be doable but it depends on how radical you want to get with the cam

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I'm going to point something out here, what do you want this car to be? Do you want a 1/4 mile car that's still streetable and are you planning on highway driving with it?

You will spend thousands of dollars to make this car a quick 1/4 mile car that's still good on highways. From your questions I can tell you're young, nothing wrong with that, but you have to remember to what standards these cars were built to back then and thier limitations. In stock or near stock form they handle and brake worse than todays cars.

Now here's what I'm getting to,

If you don't have the funds to do the car up completely the LAST thing I would do is the motor. Just get the current motor running well in stock form. As mentioned above start from the back and work your way forward as you get the funds. The problem is if you modify or replace the motor you're leaving many weak links in the orginal car that will break and cause disappointment and more money. Remember a beefed up rear, tranny, suspension and brakes will do fine with a stock motor, not the other way around. Having a powerful motor will cause problems with the stock brakes, especially if they are drums all around, plus the stock suspension won't handle well. Back then these cars went fast very well on straight aways, forget the corners. A current Corolla handles better in turns than these cars including Mach 1s did in stock form.

The other thing is the tranny in that car is an issue. A C4 has no overdrive and if you put tall gears in the rear the car will be quick off the line but it won't do well at higher speeds like on a highway as the engine will be wound up. An AOD swap if you still want auto or a T5 if you want standard would give you overdrive and the ability for the car to be an all around good driver.

Subframe connectors might be something you'll want too to allow the new, upgraded suspension to help the car handle better.

I would also make sure the body is repaired before spending money on any upgrades. You don't want the car falling apart while you're trying to make 1/4 times.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Very well said Jay!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok its not a DD its a show/fun ride that will go to the track a few times a year. I want it to be a fun driving car that is reliable as can be. I also dont want to go with the cheap way out. I have a 13 sec diesel and I was really hoping that I could have a faster vehicle being pulled than the pullie lol. I really want it to sound great to. What do yall suggest? I was thinking the flowmaster super 40.

·
Registered
36 Posts
These are the bare necessities to get your car in the high 12's. Go to the swap meet and find you a 9" rear end housing from a 1957/59 ford. If your going to run this car on the street, don't go any lower than a 3.89/3.91 gears w/auto.Traction (slapper)bars,shift kit in C4, 2500/2800 stall converter,Your really going to have to spin that little 289 to get it where you want it so it might be cheaper in the long run to buy a 347 short block. But if it must be the 289 you will have to get that compression up to at least 10.1 and run 93 oct. gas. You will have to get a mid 500 lift cam Kit, I would prefer solid lifters but some will disagree. If you go w/solid you will need to take your heads to a machine shop and have screwin studs installed in your heads so you can adjust the valves.If you go w/hydrallic cam, get a complete kit w/lifters and valve springs. Next you will need to go w/4 barrel carb,650cfm w/vac secondary's will be enough unless you decide to go w/better heads that will breathe better. You will need to upgrade your ignition according to budget, Headers and 2 1/2" exhaust, this should get you close. Have fun! Later Rick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.