Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, yesterday my AC started blowing hot out of the blue, which sucks because it's in the 90s here in Jersey this week.

Got home, popped the hood and I see that the compressor clutch is spinning.

Bought some R-134a with a gauge today. As soon as I attached it to the low side port the gauge maxed out, and that was with the car off. Turned the car on and turned on the AC and it still read the same.

Fortunately I didn't pierce the seal on the bottle so I can still return the R-134a if need be, but am I looking at a new compressor or did I just do something wrong?

For the record, this is what I bought, with the built-in gauge. The highest marking on the gauge is 150psi and that's where it was pinned.

1626477352079.png

·
Registered
2013 Mustang GT (Performance White)
50 Posts
Interesting, I had similar issue today. Its not blowing hot though, just luke warm/cool. I am curious what readings I will get. I guess I will try harder tomorrow, since I hard a such a hard time accessing the port. And you are sure the compressor is kicking on? It sounds like a blockage in the system to me.

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
I don’t necessarily trust the cheap gauge on the can. If you really want it diagnosed properly, I suspect you‘ll have a service appointment in your future.

Sorry I could help more, perhaps someone will jump in soon with more helpful information.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
752 Posts
You'll need a set of manifold gauges to read both hi and low pressures to begin trying to diagnose the issue. Unfortunately, trying diagnose A/C issues via forums is difficult as there are many reasons the A/C pressures would be way off. As crjackson has already advised, I would take it in to a credible/reputable automotive A/C technician. That said, here are some really good DIY videos for your viewing pleasure:
https://www.youtube.com/c/FordTechMakuloco/search?query=ac

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys.

Interesting, I had similar issue today. Its not blowing hot though, just luke warm/cool. I am curious what readings I will get. I guess I will try harder tomorrow, since I hard a such a hard time accessing the port. And you are sure the compressor is kicking on? It sounds like a blockage in the system to me.
It may be. The clutch spins when the AC is on and stops when the system is off. I'll have to bring it to the shop I usually go to for things I'm not able to do in my driveway. I miss having a garage with a full toolbox...

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Thanks, guys.

It may be. The clutch spins when the AC is on and stops when the system is off. I'll have to bring it to the shop I usually go to for things I'm not able to do in my driveway. I miss having a garage with a full toolbox...
Did you have the system set to MAX/Recirculate fan on high? Also how old is the cabin air filter, was that checked to make sure that there's no blockage there?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just so you guys know, the compressor apparently decided to chew itself up internally in a way that still allowed it to rotate and make some funky noises. The appointment to finish the work is Tuesday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts