Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they excist?

I was 'female-dogging' about the work to get my rears off Fridays for the drag-strip and someone said I could get a cheap 12V air gun...??? Really? Does anyone (maybe you all do and I'm just retarded?) have one? Does it work, different brands, which to get, and all of that...???

Thanks!

PS. Is it okay to jack her up on the 'axle house'? (Is axle house a direct, non working, translation from Swedish? I guess you say diff or differential?)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Differential housing would be the correcter term, and I have never heard of a 12v air gun.....unless you get a 9v and a 3v battery, hold one up to each ear and blow through a straw you may get the 12v air tool your looking for. :sterb:

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Maybe they were talking about a 12V air compressor for a air gun?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well there's this, courtesy of JC Whitney. If all you wanted was an impact gun then this would likely suffice. I've never actually seen a 12v air gun or anything beyond a cheapo 12v air compressor for slowly filling tires.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2007685/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2007685/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=impact%20wrench

"12-VOLT IMPACT WRENCH KITS
  • <LI type=circle>Reversible 1/2" drive wrenches loosen and tighten lug nuts in seconds—perfect for roadside emergencies! <LI type=circle>Delivers up to 250-ft./lbs. of torque—changing a tire has never been easier!
  • Also great for shop jobs—rotating tires, inspecting brakes, removing bolts, etc.
Plugs into cigarette lighter socket. Clamps directly to 12-volt battery. Unique torque action allows 12-volt impact wrench to generate the torque and power of an air-powered wrench! Motor spins until it reaches maximum speed, then the internal clutch automatically engages and the nut is tightened/loosened. Industrial-grade plastic housing. Easy-grip handle with trigger switch. Weighs less than 5 lbs. Includes 13-ft. power cord with light plug, built-in light for night use, battery adapter with alligator clips, sockets to fit all sizes of lug nuts, molded plastic carrying case and instructions. "

JC Whitney Part number ZX815827T
Price - $64.99

http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhitney/images/imagecache/10025954.gif

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
martimus said:
Well there's this, courtesy of JC Whitney. If all you wanted was an impact gun then this would likely suffice. I've never actually seen a 12v air gun or anything beyond a cheapo 12v air compressor for slowly filling tires.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2007685/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2007685/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=impact%20wrench

• <LI type=circle>Reversible 1/2" drive wrenches loosen and tighten lug nuts in seconds—perfect for roadside emergencies! <LI type=circle>Delivers up to 250-ft./lbs. of torque—changing a tire has never been easier!
  • Also great for shop jobs—rotating tires, inspecting brakes, removing bolts, etc.
Plugs into cigarette lighter socket. Clamps directly to 12-volt battery. Unique torque action allows 12-volt impact wrench to generate the torque and power of an air-powered wrench! Motor spins until it reaches maximum speed, then the internal clutch automatically engages and the nut is tightened/loosened. Industrial-grade plastic housing. Easy-grip handle with trigger switch. Weighs less than 5 lbs. Includes 13-ft. power cord with light plug, built-in light for night use, battery adapter with alligator clips, sockets to fit all sizes of lug nuts, molded plastic carrying case and instructions. "

Price - $64.99

That would be perfect for changing flats on the road, wonder if it has enough power RRR.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that's it... some guys was swapping tires at the track with a thing like that... seemed to work...

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lcurle said:
Differential housing would be the correcter term, and I have never heard of a 12v air gun.....unless you get a 9v and a 3v battery, hold one up to each ear and blow through a straw you may get the 12v air tool your looking for. :sterb:
Thanks Lee, you were lota help! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
martimus said:

Price - $64.99

I actually have one. Not this in particular but a cheaper one my dad bought for me. They do work. The only downside I found is if you have a lug that is being stubborn and you are holding the trigger on the gun too long it will over heat. Then you have to wait a minute or two to let it cool off. Their perfect when you need to change a flat fairly quickly and you don't feel like exerting energy using a 4-way.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I worked at a national chain parts store several years ago, and we sold 'em. I used one a couple times to remove a pulley from a customer's steering pump and such. Seemed pretty stable, and it would be easy to take to the track.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you want a fairly dencent 12V airpump it going to cost you. The QuickAir 3 is pretty popular with most of the Jeepers I know.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't know about theMustang but I have seen several owners manuals for other vehicles that say do not use the housing to jack up the car.I believe my 2002 Rannger was one of them and possibly my Explorer so I would be leary of jacking the car up at that location unless the owners manual says its ok.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered one... and then today I made the swap to ETs and after the track back to Streets for the first time... I think it would take longer with the air wrench...!?! So I cancelled the order... Pretty cool thing though if you got a lot of nuts and no special socket like I do... plus you gotta TQ it... easier by hand!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts