Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I need the location / color of a 12v switched wire under the dash somewhere hopefully. I know the ACC wire is on the radio but I really dont want to take all of that apart to get to it.
Trying to hook some guages up.

Thanks

·
Registered
829 Posts
There's a lot of them in the fuse block. Get a "fuse tap" and plug one into a spade there. Use a 12v test light to find one. The fuse block is in the right kick panel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was aware they were in there, but I did not know what a fuse tap was or that they existed :) Found on google. THANKS!! I appreciate it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Remove right kick panel. There is a junction box located behind it. reomve connector.

Remove plastic wire guard.

Locate the TWO red with yellow stripe wires going to same pin connector. Tap into either of these wires.
The only other yellow/red wire is a single wire and you do not want this one.

·
Registered
829 Posts
picture

Steven6095 said:
I was aware they were in there, but I did not know what a fuse tap was or that they existed :) Found on google. THANKS!! I appreciate it.
sorry! I should have had a picture or link. Here is a picture for you to see what they look like.

·
Registered
886 Posts
on my 5spd gt there's also an unused 12v switched line in the center console. If you remove the center console cover, it is anchored near the e-brake. Might be convenient, depending on where you're mounting the guages.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are several kinds of tire taps. Just do a search. Most are little peices of metal that the fuse kind fits down in. Simple and to the point.

Also, redbullet, thanks for the wire colors. The autopart store around here do not carry much at all. Took my oil PSI sender to get the correct size fittings and the guy behind the counter asked me what a sender was.....and what it did.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Black06 said:
I've never seen a tap like that before, where did you get them?
I've found add-a-circuit taps at both Pep Boys and Checker auto. I'd assume that you can get them at most any auto parts store. If they have them they'll likely be in the section with the fuses and electrical wire.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found one but it was not for the mini fuses. No one around here has one for mini ones :( Oh well, time to get the wire ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Steven6095 said:
The autopart store around here do not carry much at all. Took my oil PSI sender to get the correct size fittings and the guy behind the counter asked me what a sender was.....and what it did.
I had a similar experience when I put in my oil psi gauge. I wanted to keep the idiot light sender, and when I asked at a local parts store about a tee, the counter kid laughed! Ended up going to ACE hardware to come up with some pipe thread fittings.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found the mini :) Used the fuse for the dash illumination from the passenger fuse box. Works great! Will get some picts up once I get guages fully installed.

Also, about ACE

that is where I got my fittings!! MUCH CHEAPER and seemed to be better quality than the autopart stores had!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts