Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a '14 v6 out of a wrecked Mustang and was thinking of swapping into something else and was wondering if anyone has done it yet. I'm sure there have been swaps already but I couldn't find any successful ones. I figured if you threw a small turbo on it that you could easily push 450-500 fwhp just wasn't sure about how to defeat all of the other $hit the ECU looks for to make work. Such as EPS, ABS, BCM and whatever other modules it looks for on the CAN network. I'm guessing that a lot of it could be turned off with an SCT and pro software?

Any links or advice would be great.

Also, exactly what trans is the auto that is mated to the 3.7? I saw a 6R on the side of the trans case and was wondering if it was the same as the 6R80 that is mated to the Coyote? Sorry, kind of new to the auto ford stuff.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Haven't heard of any swap parts for this yet, meaning nothing stand alone is available aftermarket. You could try and use the wiring harness off the car as well as the PCM. Not sure on what can be turned on/off with a tuner as well.

Coyote 5.0 has a stand alone harness that is easy to use, the V6 will likely never see one.

500HP is never easy with a V6. Maybe 400HP at the most without diving deep into the motor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
500hp should be very easy with the new stuff! I mean you can take on '87 GN or T-Type, add a turbo and a couple small other things and put it deep into the 10's and well over 500hp without an issue. You're telling me that it can't be done with 30 years of technology advancement?

·
Registered
291 Posts
500hp should be very easy with the new stuff! I mean you can take on '87 GN or T-Type, add a turbo and a couple small other things and put it deep into the 10's and well over 500hp without an issue. You're telling me that it can't be done with 30 years of technology advancement?

You can easily get over 500 with this engine with a turbo or procharger, but it's basically a ticking time bomb if you push more that 500 horsepower. If you research around there are a few people who have pushed the engine past 500 and popped it hence why you will wind up going into the engine and building it handle the power. It seems that 450-475 seems to be the threshold on the stock engine. If you research the topic a little bit you should find a lot of threads surrounding this topic.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
71 Posts
The cyclone motor is well capable to go past 500. Many known to go to 600-700 without issue (anything over 7 replace the head gaskets and your fine well over, Pistons your good over 1000) funny thing about the 3.7 and why people should actually research before making some comments is the 3.7 has forged Pistons, crank, rods and head studs. The block is also sleeved and the Pistons are notched all from the factory. The motor is a bored eco boost with the cylinder walls sleeved meaning it's fairly difficult to put a rod through the block. A 70 mm turbo with 16 psi of boost puts you in the 700 range with the MT-82 and the 650 with the auto. More info is available through LPF in Houston on a turbo kit for them (personally I'm building my own) but 500 is easily obtainable and that can be down with the procharger kit for the 3.7 (475 with stock pulley). Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cyclone motor is well capable to go past 500. Many known to go to 600-700 without issue (anything over 7 replace the head gaskets and your fine well over, Pistons your good over 1000) funny thing about the 3.7 and why people should actually research before making some comments is the 3.7 has forged Pistons, crank, rods and head studs. The block is also sleeved and the Pistons are notched all from the factory. The motor is a bored eco boost with the cylinder walls sleeved meaning it's fairly difficult to put a rod through the block. A 70 mm turbo with 16 psi of boost puts you in the 700 range with the MT-82 and the 650 with the auto. More info is available through LPF in Houston on a turbo kit for them (personally I'm building my own) but 500 is easily obtainable and that can be down with the procharger kit for the 3.7 (475 with stock pulley). Hope this helps you out.

Thanks for the info! I couldn't imagine a stock 27 y/o Buick v6 being stronger than this new cyclone engine. I knew the crank wouldn't be an issues at the power levels I'm after and figured the same with the rest.

Now if I can just get a definitive answer about making it work as a standalone engine package I'll be great!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've heard that the Eco-Boost won't work as it only has one adjustable cam rather than two as the 3.7L

Didn't say everything would work lol. Look for the motor mounts that were used. ECU and PCM you can always make longer wires and tune things out. Talk to a local tuner you trust and see what parts of the ECU they can access. Here in oklahoma a lot of guys run HP tuners and from what if seen they can do pretty much anything they want with the tuning and computers

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
For what it is worth, during my years on this forum, I have not seen too many people push the 3.7 over 550 rwhp reliably. I've seen several attempts that did not go well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not really worried about pushing it, just trying to figure out how to get it all running now. Once running properly then I can worry about adding power later.

As others have said before, it seems very very hard to defeat or eliminate all of the other BS & modules that are needed. I spoke with a tech at SCT and unfortunately didm;t get a name but I was told that I can delete all of the other stuff easily. I then spoke with JR at morepowertuning.com and he said that he used to work for SCT at one time and that you cannot get rid of all the nannies and other crap to make it work properly. So I'm now really confused? I guess I can try calling SCT again to see what they say about it. I contacted HP tuners and their email reply was not very encouraging. In fact this was his reply when I asked if I could bypass the other stuff "Honestly not sure, our software can only reprogram the ecm and its doubtful anyone has tried what you are attempting to do so we definitely don't know if it'll work or not". Really?? No idea if it will work? Don;t they test their software to check its capabilities?

Anyone want to buy a flawless 618 mile 2014 3.7L v6 from a 2014 Mustang with 6 speed auto, full engine harness plus body harness. It comes with the cats and stock H pipe along with the driveshaft and a ton of other things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To do something like this, you are going to have to dive into the deep end and go with an aftermarket, universal engine management system, such as an AEM Infinity unit. They have an adapter to make that system work with the Coyote harness (to allow it to work with the factory systems), and that would be a great starting point for a 3.7, since most of the controls run the same software (and identical hardware for production reasons). You would need to either find a good tuner who is familiar with AEM's software (not exactly hard), or become a quick learner (I do not necessarily recommend this as it would likely end with a broken engine).

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts

Wcole--wow, thanks for the info and facts on my 3.7L had no idea Ford built such a stout engine here--good to know. I wont be modifying mine, but still good to know- 305 HP is plenty for and old guy like me- especially with the performance package- yeah, did my homework on this one before I ordered it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
There's a bolt on procharger kit you can find the for 3.7L that people claim will get 440+ rwhp. Goes for about $5-6k. Seems like a quick and concise way to get that sort of power. While it would be cool to swap that into a old bronco or international scout, I think a miata would be more fun :wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.