Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Conditions: all types of weather.
2015 Ford Mustang GT (no mods), manufactured Fall of 2014. 34,000+ miles, premium fuel from either Shell or BP, happens when the tank is full or near empty, incline/decline does not matter.
Scenario: For the past 18 months, almost every time I drive my car, it will begin to sputter while I am at a red light or heavy traffic. Sometimes the car shuts off during these episodes. I have realized that if I put the car on neutral or park and just give it a little gas the car won't shut off and the sputtering stops for a little. It happens more when I take an extended highway drive of 60+ mph for more than 20 minutes. Started to occur more now when I exit the highway and get caught at the turn light driving to work. If the car does shut off, I just have to put it in park and push the ignition and it turns back on. I am having issues with a Ford dealer on the north side of Chicago. The tech insisted that since they can't duplicate the sputtering they do not know what is wrong. I have provided two video links below of my car sputtering. Both of them occurred after a 40-mile drive to work. And both were at a red light after exiting the highway. It was early in the AM so no traffic whatsoever. On one of them, the car shuts off. I have provided these to the dealership and it is like banging my head on a wall. I have the Premium Care extended warranty so I am trying to get them to fix it. Anyone else dealt with this issue? Or had a similar experience with their local dealership? I took Autotech for three years in high school and have an idea of what it might be. At the same time, I am sure techs get annoyed when someone tries to tell them what it is that they need to fix to solve the problem. If it wasn't for the warranty I am sure a local mechanic would have figured it out and fixed it but why should I pay for the whole repair if I have a warranty, amirite? Hope you guys can help me out!

And no I did not leave parked that way, and yes those are foreign plates (Bahrain) on the other cars. It was from when I had my car there...

·
Super Moderator
4,315 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your Account Settings.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote and Rs85

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I had similar problem years ago. Same symptoms and the shop couldn't identify the problem. Turns out it was my tank-mounted fuel pump. Sometimes, problems can be hard to diagnose. However, if your current dealership is not addressing your issue, take it to another one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had similar problem years ago. Same symptoms and the shop couldn't identify the problem. Turns out it was my tank-mounted fuel pump. Sometimes, problems can be hard to diagnose. However, if your current dealership is not addressing your issue, take it to another one.
It seems like after this service trip I will just have to go to a further one.

·
Banned
8,821 Posts
No codes I assume. Maybe you can data log and see what the fuel trims and stuff are. Fuel pressure, etc, etc,

·
Registered
2015 Ruby Red GT, 1966 Silver Blue Coupe
691 Posts
It seems like after this service trip I will just have to go to a further one.
l'd think with that video a dealer should be able to trouble shoot the issue. If they cant do it take it somewhere else. Cant be that hard to figure out.

My first reaction was a fuel issue - like a clogged filter or something but who knows.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My wild ass guess would be either a dirty MAF sensor or a purge solenoid staying open too long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
90lx, yup no codes. My guess is this is something with the fuel system. As Hube said, I think specifically it's the fuel pump or injectors. AZ, from what the lady at the dealer said, they won't fix what they don't experience. This is dumb but it's their policy so whatever. Maybe the next Ford dealer will get it done. They said they drove it on the interstate for 20 mins, twice and couldn't get the car to act up. The tech said that 5.0s idle rough but rough enough to shut off on its own, definitely not normal. So far with this car, the rear camera went on the fritz, the rear brake lights stayed on and I couldn't go over 40. But those issues were fixed. My 2012 GT did not give me so much grief.

·
Registered
2015 Ruby Red GT, 1966 Silver Blue Coupe
691 Posts
90lx, yup no codes. My guess is this is something with the fuel system. As Hube said, I think specifically it's the fuel pump or injectors. AZ, from what the lady at the dealer said, they won't fix what they don't experience. This is dumb but it's their policy so whatever. Maybe the next Ford dealer will get it done. They said they drove it on the interstate for 20 mins, twice and couldn't get the car to act up. The tech said that 5.0s idle rough but rough enough to shut off on its own, definitely not normal. So far with this car, the rear camera went on the fritz, the rear brake lights stayed on and I couldn't go over 40. But those issues were fixed. My 2012 GT did not give me so much grief.
Ummm no these 5.0s don't idle rough lol. I get that they cant duplicate it, but based on what you are saying they also don't sound real smart. Have they seen the video?

Just for shits and giggles have you tried pulling the MAF and cleaning it? Have you tried running any fuel system cleaner or injector cleaner through it? Might be worth a shot before your next dealer visit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ummm no these 5.0s don't idle rough lol. I get that they cant duplicate it, but based on what you are saying they also don't sound real smart. Have they seen the video?

Just for shits and giggles have you tried pulling the MAF and cleaning it? Have you tried running any fuel system cleaner or injector cleaner through it? Might be worth a shot before your next dealer visit.
Unfortunately, I wish the fix was that easy. I have cleaned the MAF and RP fuel system cleaner. I even changed the air filter. Totally agree, the way the car was idling is not normal. I was told previously that maybe it was the cold weather. I had to bring up the fact that it actually began doing this in the Summer.

·
Banned
8,821 Posts
Since it stays running when you give it gas in neutral my guess would be that it’s more of an “air thing” than a “fuel thing.” You say it runs worse after twenty or so min of driving. The motor idles higher when it’s cold, so the higher rpm is what is keeping it running. I had problems with my ‘95 where it wouldn’t want to idle when the engine was warm and I didn’t have any codes. I “band-aided” it for the longest by raising the idle speed. Not so long ago I realized that I had a clogged cat and wouldn’t ya know it, that was the trouble all along. I don’t think that you have a clogged cat, but I don’t think it’s the fuel pump or injectors. If it was the pump it would be running bad at all RPM’s and it would’ve probably gone out by now. Have you tried cleaning the throttle body? The backside will be the dirtiest so you’ll probably have to take it off to clean it very well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also have a 2015 5.0 which experiences similar symptoms. It started about a year ago with what I would describe as hunting for a stable idle. After warming up if I sit at idle the rpm will sink down to 600 and then rise back up to 800(more normal rpm). It did stall one. Check Alejandro Flores mustang channel on you tube and look for idle issues video. He’s a tuner for Lund Racing and it was happening to his car. He thought it might be related to cam chain tensioner issues. You can email him at Lund racing, it’s been at least 6 months and he may have further info, worth a try

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
I'd also clean the throttle body (just for fun) and does that year have a replaceable fuel filter?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts