Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2011 mustang gt automatic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I could use the cats from a 2015+ mustang gt onto my 2011 gt and pass smog. My car currently doesn’t pass smog in California and was wondering if the 2015+ will work for smog. I will have them welded if need be.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If your aim was to cut and weld then you can do anything you want I suppose but that isn't exactly ideal. Why exactly won't it pass? Why wouldn't you just buy the correct cats for your car? The car came with cats that would make it legal assuming that it was destined for original sale in CA.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
I guess the 2015+ cats might work; but I'd look for cats from the same chassis as the car (2011-2014?) to avoid all the likely hassles and problems with using a different year . . . I guess you don't have your original cats?

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
@jhernande3
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your Account Settings.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
2011 mustang gt automatic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess the 2015+ cats might work; but I'd look for cats from the same chassis as the car (2011-2014?) to avoid all the likely hassles and problems with using a different year . . . I guess you don't have your original cats?
Yes when I was younger I deleted my cats and sold them off not knowing how expensive they would be. I will only be putting them on for smog checks.

If your aim was to cut and weld then you can do anything you want I suppose but that isn't exactly ideal. Why exactly won't it pass? Why wouldn't you just buy the correct cats for your car? The car came with cats that would make it legal assuming that it was destined for original sale in CA.
Yeah I was kind of dumb when I first started getting into cars and didn’t realize all that things that would be needed when the DMV came knocking. I sold them off thinking I wouldn’t need them.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Running no cats at all is illegal. In some states the fine is in the 1000s of $ and it only takes a cop pulling you over to look with a mirror to impound it and cost you big bucks. Cats cost no real power loss anyway as long as they are not clogged so it's completely unnecessary.
Unfortunately, now is an expensive time to buy used cats with the price of the precious metals used in them more than gold in a few instances. Rhodium is about 15x the price of gold right now for instance.

·
Registered
2013 Mustang V6 Brembo
2,516 Posts
Running no cats at all is illegal. In some states the fine is in the 1000s of $ and it only takes a cop pulling you over to look with a mirror to impound it and cost you big bucks. Cats cost no real power loss anyway as long as they are not clogged so it's completely unnecessary.
Unfortunately, now is an expensive time to buy used cats with the price of the precious metals used in them more than gold in a few instances. Rhodium is about 15x the price of gold right now for instance.
And it is not the State I am worried about, it is the Feds that literarily say you can't even move the cat making Long tube headers illegal and the shop can loose $25,000 for modifying or removing any Emission control device and the owner can loose $15,000 for it if he/she does it. Now the Feds are coming down even harder on anyone that sales or tunes off road equipment and even modifying a stock vehicle to go off road racing with out the emissions is illegal in the US.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
There's always talk from far left or far right individuals or groups about proposing new or canceling existing policies regarding emissions or environmental issues. They rarely get implemented or passed into law being it overly far reaching or overly unfettered. The middle is always a good place to be.
Until it's in the news that a law is being run thru Congress or being signed into law by a president then I wouldn't worry too much.

In any case, to the OP I would go on craigslist or FB marketplace(if you or a relative/friend have a FB account) and look for a used exhaust with cats for your 2011-14 GT.

·
Registered
2013 Mustang V6 Brembo
2,516 Posts
There's always talk from far left or far right individuals or groups about proposing new or canceling existing policies regarding emissions or environmental issues. They rarely get implemented or passed into law being it overly far reaching or overly unfettered. The middle is always a good place to be.
Until it's in the news that a law is being run thru Congress or being signed into law by a president then I wouldn't worry too much.
Law is already there, enforcement is lacking in most places but when it does get enforced there will be a lot of people in trouble. My buddy had passed emissions twice with his truck and was written at a roadside Sobriety check point for other than stock Catalytic Converters in a non compliant location the original fine was $15,000 and lowered to $1,500 plus all new exhaust including Exhaust manifolds. He knew he was in trouble when the court date and location were in the Federal Building and not the County courthouse.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
That was simply a letter explaining the EPA's interpretation of the law at the time under that administration way back in 1991. It gives guidelines. The translation and implementation of laws changes all the time with an administration change and sometimes during an administration. I'm currently not seeing any sky is falling scenario. A good lawyer is indispensable whenever the cops overstep.
Also, obviously these guidelines have been updated since this 1991 letter since cars changed from the factory to use in racing are routinely fitted without cats. Leaded race fuel is sold at race tracks that is incompatible with cats and O2 sensors.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
If I disappear tomorrow and never come back, you can assume I have been thrown in that special dungeon for environmental criminals, LOL . . .

My car failed Massachusetts inspection last fall, and the inspection guy said "oh no, you are in big trouble, you have to call the special emissions line to get this cleared up" . . . because my rear O2 sensors were showing "not ready." I had a tune in the car, and did not realize that the rear O2's were turned off; if I had realized I would have addressed it before the inspection. I got Lito to write me a new tune with them turned on, here's hoping he did it right.

When I called that special phone number, I was all prepared to explain the whole thing to the inspection people, expecting them to be completely ignorant and also to assume that I had done something horrible . . . but pleasantly surprised to hear the guy say "yeah, the car probably has a tune." Thank GOD, I don't have to explain what a "TUNE" is, to someone who has no clue what I am talking about; or to explain that the cats are working fine, it's only the sensor that is turned off . . . . I told him it was a special tune just for the road track, and I forgot to put back the street tune . . . tomorrow morning if it shows "READY" he'll clear the red flag from my records, otherwise we'll see . . .

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I heard Massachusetts came down hard on exhaust/emissions over the last few years. Is it true that you can't replace the mufflers with anything louder than stock there? If it is true is there a grandfather clause?

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
<duplicate post deleted -- not sure why the system did that, I don't think I clicked "post" twice . . . >

EDIT: well, that was very strange . . . first my post (below) showed up twice; so I went in and edited this one (above) and then the other one was blank; so I was able to go "back" and re-post . . . very odd behavior by the site just now.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Well, I am still a free man, for now at least . . . car passed the special emissions system ready test this morning, so now the flag has been removed from my account and I can go back to the regular inspection station, to complete the inspection and get my new sticker. Woo hoo! Lito came through with an emissions-compliant tune, and I did a bunch of driving around to make sure I completed the "drive cycle" so everything was "ready."

I have mufflers on my car that are noticeably louder than stock, and nobody has given me any trouble about it yet. Massachusetts is always competing with California to be the top liberal nanny state, so yeah they've been harping on this stuff for a long time. But the inspection stations are mostly car guys so they let some of the little things, that are not verified by computer, go.

·
Registered
2013 Mustang V6 Brembo
2,516 Posts
Bert, I was pulled over in my 1972 Gran Torino in 1979 and called a Motorhead by the Mass State Police because of my louder than stock exhaust (Cherry Bombs) and written up for it. Had to put some Lincoln Mark IV Resonators on it instead of the tailpipes to get it signed off and then moved to Colorado and ran the Cherry Bombs again. Don't know who was worse on Vehicle inspections Mass or Hew Hampshire

1 - 15 of 15 Posts