Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will 15x8's fit all the way around on a 67 Coupe? I've read they will fit in the back, I just wasn't sure about the front.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the 620 lb springs to drop the front end 1", otherwise, it's all stock replacement.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also forgot to mention that I'm putting a Wilwood disc brake conversion on the front, though that also shouldn't make any difference because they don't have some monster rotors or anything.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Must be the familiarity of this question :p

The first caveat to running 15x8 on all 4 corners is ensuring you use the proper backspacing, once you have the BS selected then you can source the second caveat which is appropriately sized tires for the rim size and posistion within the wheel wells. What you will find out is that with wilwood front discs you increase the track width and that your front wheels will end up with a different backspacing requirement that your rear wheels. Because of a arm positioning on the stock mustang you are limited to 4.5 BS on an 8 inch wheel that is less than 17 inch in diameter, however with the wilwoods, this changes and you will need to measure to figure out exactly how much past stock the track has changed. I 'beleive' it is 1/2 per side 1 inch total, but I don't have wilwoods so I can not answer definitively. Assuming that 1/2 is correct this would change the back spacing requirements for the front of the car to 5 inch, however a 15x8 5 inch BS on the back will limit (IMO your widest tire choices. The 4.75 backspacing on an 8 inch wheel IME works the best in classic mustang applications in the rear. So then you would have to make a choice of running with a 15x8 4.75 on all 4 corners with the knowledge that you might have been able to eek a slighly larger tire into the front because you have space for a little more backspacing.

So the short answer is yes, but no one can answer that directly because you have not indicated what tires you want, what backspacing the wheels have, what your suspension is, what your alignment is....all these things are factors that determine how well they fit

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I said, suspension is genuinely a stock or maybe a step up besides the 620 springs.

Also, I know nothing about backspacing or what it is. All I know is it has something to do with wheels, but I've never been told or took the time to find out what it was. I guess I'm a visual learner. I also know nothing about tires as far as sizing goes. All I know is the last number is what size wheels it will fit(i.e. a 245/40r17 is for a 17" wheel). For your knowledge, I'm putting Mickey Thompson E/T Streets on the back. And of course M/T lists their measurements in standard while everyone else is in metric, so if I weren't already confused enough... :dunce: So yeah, that's the jist of things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Backspacing is the measurement from the flat where the wheel meets the hub to the inside of the rim.

235\60R15

235 is the width of the tire at the rim (its metric).

60 is the aspect ratio of the width to the height of the sidewall. (its easier to think of it as the height of the sidewall, but its really not)

15 of course is the Inner Diameter.

Now, the rims should be fine but if you put the wrong tire its gonna rub. IE 15x8 inch rims with 24570R15's. A good source for info is MustangsPlus, they sell both rims and tires and know what fits and what hits.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still don't undetstand backspacing. I understand the flat where the wheel touches the hub, but what do you mean by the inside of the rim.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Acooljt said:
I still don't undetstand backspacing. I understand the flat where the wheel touches the hub, but what do you mean by the inside of the rim.
Refer to last post^^^

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I understand backspacing now, but how do I know which backspacing I want? That's now the question I suppose.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I know you said you understand backspace..Heres a visual hand..lol
It Helped me alot...rear spaceing is the term they use here.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, Eastwood sells a tool for gauging backspacing. It mounts to the tire and is adjusted for the wheel width, then it mounts to the hub. Then you adjust it until your tire sits in the wheelwell the way you want it, then you read it and it tells you what backspacing you need. :cool:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do I know which backspacing I want now though? That's my only question.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.