Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to order my 17" Wheels next weekend and I am looking at 2 different companies wheels.

One is AFS Cobra Rs that are 17" x 8" (+12mm with 4.95" backspacing). I have to get the lugs seperately and they suggest extended tip (ET) lug centric nut, but I do not see where to get them from thier site. Does 50resto have them?

The other is OE Wheels on eBay. They have 17" x 9" wheels and do not have a offset or backspacing listed. I emailed them and they have not responed for a week now. They do come with the lugs though!

Both are around the same price and shipping. Both come with tires mounted and balanced.

Question is, will the 17" x 9" fit (without mods) on my 90LX? Since I do not know the offset or backspacing of the OE Wheels, I was hoping someone would have bought these and know about them and can help.

Thanks,
Russell

·
Registered
30 Posts
17x9's will rub up front

i know from experience with oe wheels. i should mention my 92 is lowered almost 2 inches. the 90 year i beleive has a smaller wheel well opening. i wouldn't put anything bigger then a 245 40 17 on the front.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i called oe wheeles and they said the backspacing on there 17x9's are i belive 5.75...i know for a fact they did not say over 6 or under 5. i am looking to do the same thing with my 89 non lowered 5.0.so let me know how ya turn out man.i am going to get the wheel and tire combo from oe.the tire size on the combos are 255/40/17. hope fully that will not cause any problems on mine

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice, I just realized that the link went to the home page... anyway, I am getting pretty frustrated with the amount of info on five lug upgrade options! I think I am going to get the kit to upgrade the lug pattern and then I can upgrade the brakes later easier. I just need to call around to get pricing on the install.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i know that those wheels from oe are a REALLY good deal. but if you want to avoid any rubbing concerns, while still getting a nice wheel, go to discounttiresdirect.com

they are an official replica wheel co. distributer.

replica has taken it upon themselves to create replica cobra wheels in a 16 x 8 , 4 lug application. pretty much the perfect size wheel, in my opinion. leaves you room to go a little wider than pony wheels can handle for tires, but at the same time, leaves you room for a good meaty profile, 55 series say.

they make other 17" wheels in 16" sizes as well, such as the SVO wheels, which are my personal favorite.

just somethin to check into. they have amazing tire prices as well, and free mount and balance + shipping with a package.

in the end, it could cost the same as a package from oe wheels with their 140 dollar shipping. thats 749+139, man thats 880 bucks.

bout 125 per wheel, plus 100 dollar tire if you like expensive tires, thats 900 bucks for the wheel si ze you know will work, for only 20 bucks more.

but hey, i just got 16" tires from them for 66 bucks each.

not a sales pitch, just a reccomendation.
also, they havea 3 year tire replacement warranty.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The price on the rim and tire combo is 749.00 + shipping and they come with like low profile tires.that is the only reason that i would want to go with oe wheels instead.im on kinda a budget unfortunetly lol.and sorry man im not trying to steal ur post or nothin just havin the same problem:handball:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the two of us can get what we need out of one thread, then sweet! I am thinking that I am going with 4 lugs 17x8s from AFS. I am going to have to spend more to get the lugs, but I feel that the possible rubbing from the 17x9s is not worth the headache. Someday I will go with 5 lug when I find a 94/95 to pick apart!

·
Registered
155 Posts
systronic said:
i know that those wheels from oe are a REALLY good deal. but if you want to avoid any rubbing concerns, while still getting a nice wheel, go to discounttiresdirect.com

they are an official replica wheel co. distributer.

replica has taken it upon themselves to create replica cobra wheels in a 16 x 8 , 4 lug application. pretty much the perfect size wheel, in my opinion. leaves you room to go a little wider than pony wheels can handle for tires, but at the same time, leaves you room for a good meaty profile, 55 series say.

they make other 17" wheels in 16" sizes as well, such as the SVO wheels, which are my personal favorite.

just somethin to check into. they have amazing tire prices as well, and free mount and balance + shipping with a package.

in the end, it could cost the same as a package from oe wheels with their 140 dollar shipping. thats 749+139, man thats 880 bucks.

bout 125 per wheel, plus 100 dollar tire if you like expensive tires, thats 900 bucks for the wheel si ze you know will work, for only 20 bucks more.

but hey, i just got 16" tires from them for 66 bucks each.

not a sales pitch, just a reccomendation.
also, they havea 3 year tire replacement warranty.
man i looked at this site you were talking about and i was pretty impressed about there products.i will be ordering my wheels from here soon.hopefully in the next month.thanks for the recomendation man!i am going to go with the 16x8's all the way around. another question....what tire size do you think i should go with??... 215/55/16 or 225/55/16 or 235/50/16 ? i dont know anythink about tire sizes and what the differences are betreen these...but these are the choices it gave me for my wheel selection.thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
hey man.
tires sizes are easy.

225 = tread width
55=profile height
16= rim size

i have 225/55/16's on my 16x7 ponies

yours wil be 16x8, so you can go wider
when you order from discount, just call them to order
its easier and they can help you with tire sizes on the wheel
GREAT service there.

·
Registered
155 Posts
thanks preaciate your help

·
Registered
579 Posts
Have either of you in your searching found a 4-lug 17" copy of the 94-95 Cobra. A couple of years ago I found them and purchased Drag Welds instead and now trying to find those wheels and no luck. Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
well i really dont know what the 95 cobras look like.but i have seen many different types of cobra wheels in the past month so if you can possibly post a pic of the ones you want or what they look like ill try to help you out.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i have a 90 lx coupe with ford 17/8 bullit wheels, i run khumo 245/45/17 up front and 275/40/17's mickey thompsons out back. i do not have any problems with rubbing. one thing you should be aware of if you use the frrp 5 lug conversion. you will have to machine the front rotor's at the outer bearing boss so that any ford motorsport wheel will fit. also the front decrative cap will not fit on. i beleive 95 front spindle's will work to prevent the above problem or an after market wheel

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
90taz said:
i have a 90 lx coupe with ford 17/8 bullit wheels, i run khumo 245/45/17 up front and 275/40/17's mickey thompsons out back. i do not have any problems with rubbing. one thing you should be aware of if you use the frrp 5 lug conversion. you will have to machine the front rotor's at the outer bearing boss so that any ford motorsport wheel will fit. also the front decrative cap will not fit on. i beleive 95 front spindle's will work to prevent the above problem or an after market wheel
Stock Mustang Rotors or the Cheapie Lincoln downgrade have that huge bearing snout on the rotors and that does get in the way of allowing you to use the center caps on wheels. The SN95 conversion has the sealed bearing hub and allows you to use whatever wheels you wish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.