Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have An 01 mustang convertible and I'm getting rubbing in the front I'm running a 245-45-17x9 in the front and a 275-40-17x9 in the rear. My tires are stretched in the front. My uncle gave the wheels and tires to my and he said he didn't have any rubbing at all. I had to get spacers for them to fit.i bought the car in feb/2013 Is my car lowered or is it an issue with my suspension?

Attachments

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
if 245s are rubbing then yes there is something up with the suspension, that is a stock size tire

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
What's rubbing, the tire or the edge of the rim? My guess is it's hitting the sway bar??

What year Mustang did the wheels come from? Sounds like they may have a little too much backspacing for a proper fit on a 99-04 car, which makes me think they were on a 2005+ Mustang originally.

Please confirm or deny any of the above. And no, your car's ride height appears to be stock. Last thing is, be cautious in your use of wheel spacers. "Hubcentric" style spacers are ok, but there are others which basically just slip over the wheel studs and those can be dangerous (wheels flying off while you're driving - that kind of dangerous). In lieu of using spacers of any sort, I would personally look into steering rack limiters or just try not to turn the steering wheel full lock. Or better yet, rims with a proper backspacing measurement.

I'm running 17x9 w/ 275's in the front of mine (03 Cobra replicas) and have absolutely no issues (along with 1,000's of others who could say the same thing), so that is why I'm leaning on it being an issue with the wheel and not your car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts