Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2 pair of black cobra R's for my mustang..
ive bought new falken 275/40s for the back:bigthumbsup
i have an 80 stang, what is the smallest tire i can fit on a 17x9 rim?
i heard a 235/45 would work, but i get a lil rub, anything smaller??
all help is appreciated
:)

·
Registered
622 Posts
i'm running 245/45r17zr on my 08 gt

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
235 is the limit for use on a 9 inch wheel.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
235 is the best for your app, that way its the rim that rubs not the tire. Should only rub one side and very minimal @ that.,

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay thanks guys..
what is the rim rubbing on?
is it that inside wheel well, rubber thing?
i might have to rip that off, or is it on the strut?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
It rubs on the control arm but doesnt hurt anything. Just make sure you have the wheels weighted w. stickies on the inner rim. Otherwise it will wear off from rubbing.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You'll probably see a small tacked on piece that's on the control arm that will show the rubbing that's going on. It seems to be something softer than aluminum as mine is pretty worn, yet the wheels show no signs of the rubbing.

You may have a little tire rub on the inner fender liner too, no biggie there.

Like spdjnky said, make sure whoever balances the wheel/tires does the stick-on inside weights so you don't have the outside push on weights get caught and run around the wheel on you.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay sounds good..
im getting them in a bit..
what tires you think i should throw on there?
without breaking the bank
i could go to tirerack, but i would rather hear mustang enthusiast input..then ill hear tirerack
lol

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
i have 255 40 17 on front and back of my car. i learned fast that the inner rim weights rub off in just a few sharp turns. definitely go with the stickys! plus its gets rid of the bad looking weights too

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
255 40s is what the discount tire dudee recommended all the way around, but i want 275s on the rear, and some people here say that 255s on the front of the original foxes 79-80somethin arent good, theyre tooo big

·
Registered
312 Posts
I rubbed the inner fender lips with 245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE01Rs and mine's a '91 with the bigger openings. Of course, it never happened on the street, only on the track so I had to use a jack handle to roll the fender lips at the track, that stopped the rubbing.

I did run a set of Yokahama Advan Neova AD07s in 245/40/17 in the front and 255/40/17s in the rear for 2 years before that with no tire rub whatsoever.

The 245s will bead inside of the wheel's rim so you won't hit them on the control arms, the 255s do come past the wheel rims so they will rub the control arms. I would recommend the 245/40s on the front and 275/40s on the rear and you should be good.

As far as the brand of tires, depends on what you are doing with them. The afformentioned Yokohamas were awesome at the track but the price is ridiculous, the Bridgestones were ok, everyone else loves them but I didn't like them as much at the track as the Yokos and they were nearly as much (I got them free though so they were the right price). I hear a lot of good things about Michelin PS2s, BFG KDs (though the KDs are supposed to suck big time in the wet- so KDWs would be a better compromise if you drive in the wet at all). One guy was running Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec and was super fast on those, they are a bit less than some of the others out there and rated pretty well in everything I read.

You'll also want to check around, both the Yokos and Dunlops don't come in 275/40/17s, 255 is the biggest they come in 17". I've found alot of tires that way, they'll come in either 245s or 275s but not both.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
okay awesome thanks MJ!!!
is it good to have the same tire all the way around, ill just be changing size from front to rear..
it should be fine??

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, i came across a sweet deal
falken ziex 270/40s-89 each
and 245/ 40s-77each

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.