Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my names scott i have a 88 5.0 gt...i have a couple of questions about my car that maybe someone in here could help me with...first off ill fill u in with moddss..i fried the old motor in my car soo i had a new cheap jasper 306 rebuilt motor installed at shop were my friend works..most of the modss on engine were from old motor but most parts are new and i had them installed while new motor was being installed....i have typhoon upper/lower intake 70mm polished tb,65mm egr plate (the 65 egr is old and off old motor dont ask y the guy didnt order the 70mm to match the tb but who cares cuz i ordered a polished 70mm egr plate allready and its coming in on friday)24pund injectors, mass air conversion with c&l 73mm mass air calobrated for injectors, a/c delete, smog pump delete, and short belt, high volume water pump, 160 thermo., new radiator, jasper remanurfactured 306 motor, equal length mac headers,mac Xpipe,mac pro dumps,undrive pullies,fender wall cai,3:73,king cobra clutch pro 5.0 shifter and rebuilt t-5,50/50 drag shocks,70/30 struts, and a hole bunch of other suspension parts i havent had time to install...... now that u no all about my car pretty much here are the important question....my car has been hesitating latly not realy that bad but i can tell its not running like it should and i herd a ticking noise under the hood near the injectors and i could tell they were dirty so i put in locus injector cleaner and changed the oil with royal purple 10w30 and that seemed to help but right now im trying to get the car runing as good as i can so i can race it in 2weeks and i herd with bigger injectors and headers and intake and **** it is good to have high volume fuel pump so i orderd a 190lph pump... now will that be ok to run on my car with out fuel presure regulator cuz i have no time or money to mess with fuel pressure??????please help???????........and this is the other question..... along with the 190 fuel pump and the polished 70mm egr plate i also ordered a adjustable clutch cable cuz im haveing a hesitation through the drivetrain and i can feel vibration throo the clutch pedal and when im cruising i can push clutch pedal in half way without it evan ingaugeing... and its all torn under the car right near clutch fork and the palstic is cracked up at the firewall...now could that be the hesitation???? cuz it all most feels like the clutch is slipping but its not its hard to explain i think its the cable it feels like its not ingaugeing the clutch properly cuz the cable was never replaced and its deffanitly not the clutch cuz thats like brand new and it catches 2 and 1/4 inches off the fall witch is perfect but when im in 2nd or 3rd gear and i gun it it feels like the car is fast but it feels like somthing is rong its not accelerating as fast as becuz those 3:73 make it screw in 2nd and 3rd but itjus doesnt feel like it used to so does any body have this problem or no if this problem could be the clutch cable if soo answer me back please thanks........scott..........

·
Registered
9 Posts
wow you have done it now

mustangfiveo said:
my names scott i have a 88 5.0 gt...i have a couple of questions about my car that maybe someone in here could help me with...first off ill fill u in with moddss..i fried the old motor in my car soo i had a new cheap jasper 306 rebuilt motor installed at shop were my friend works..most of the modss on engine were from old motor but most parts are new and i had them installed while new motor was being installed....i have typhoon upper/lower intake 70mm polished tb,65mm egr plate (the 65 egr is old and off old motor dont ask y the guy didnt order the 70mm to match the tb but who cares cuz i ordered a polished 70mm egr plate allready and its coming in on friday)24pund injectors, mass air conversion with c&l 73mm mass air calobrated for injectors, a/c delete, smog pump delete, and short belt, high volume water pump, 160 thermo., new radiator, jasper remanurfactured 306 motor, equal length mac headers,mac Xpipe,mac pro dumps,undrive pullies,fender wall cai,3:73,king cobra clutch pro 5.0 shifter and rebuilt t-5,50/50 drag shocks,70/30 struts, and a hole bunch of other suspension parts i havent had time to install...... now that u no all about my car pretty much here are the important question....my car has been hesitating latly not realy that bad but i can tell its not running like it should and i herd a ticking noise under the hood near the injectors and i could tell they were dirty so i put in locus injector cleaner and changed the oil with royal purple 10w30 and that seemed to help but right now im trying to get the car runing as good as i can so i can race it in 2weeks and i herd with bigger injectors and headers and intake and **** it is good to have high volume fuel pump so i orderd a 190lph pump... now will that be ok to run on my car with out fuel presure regulator cuz i have no time or money to mess with fuel pressure??????please help???????........and this is the other question..... along with the 190 fuel pump and the polished 70mm egr plate i also ordered a adjustable clutch cable cuz im haveing a hesitation through the drivetrain and i can feel vibration throo the clutch pedal and when im cruising i can push clutch pedal in half way without it evan ingaugeing... and its all torn under the car right near clutch fork and the palstic is cracked up at the firewall...now could that be the hesitation???? cuz it all most feels like the clutch is slipping but its not its hard to explain i think its the cable it feels like its not ingaugeing the clutch properly cuz the cable was never replaced and its deffanitly not the clutch cuz thats like brand new and it catches 2 and 1/4 inches off the fall witch is perfect but when im in 2nd or 3rd gear and i gun it it feels like the car is fast but it feels like somthing is rong its not accelerating as fast as becuz those 3:73 make it screw in 2nd and 3rd but itjus doesnt feel like it used to so does any body have this problem or no if this problem could be the clutch cable if soo answer me back please thanks........scott..........
Now you, well see there are certain things that make engines run like stallions and then theres some that run like 200,000 chevy, ha bet chevy guys are loving that. any way, when you tinker with the air and fuel you have to watch that lean and rich(get a fuel mixture gauge) now if you are bogging down a little i think you are running rich(to much fuel not enouph air) to fix this yes FUEL PRESSURE REGULLATOR. adding more fuel is good as long as you get the air you need. remember that a 190lph fuel pump is for 800+ cfm, which is a roots blower, i think you need to send the pump back because if to much pressure builds up the injector will crack. your clutch cable is a little wore out. i suggest that you get a new cable,throwout bearing,adjustable clutch quadrant,shifting fork. the quadrant will take that play that you talk about plus its metal and a stock one is plastic,no chance of a break. also remember that you want a one inch or slightly over under for your clutch play. if you need any further help jsut give me a beep, or email i might have some good ideas for your engine.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The stock fuel pressure regulator will work with the 190 lph pump. It sounds like your combo needs to be dyno tuned to perfect the A/F ratio. Also how many break in miles do you have on these parts ( engine, clutch, etc...)? You need at least a couple hundred miles before it will be OK to race it, IMO. What is your timing set at? Stock is 10* advanced, you should be able to run 13-14* with no problems, but remember with advanced timing listen for detonation, and use premium fuel. Detonation is very bad and will blow that new motor, it sounds like a pinging sound and if your exhaust is loud you may not be able to hear it too good. Adjustable clutch cable and quadrant is a good mod for anyone. Good luck and feel free to ask more questions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i pulled the tranny out last year and put in king cobra clutch, jegs fork,new thro out bearing,new bearing retainer slider thing,and had tranny custom built for street strip at ammco trannsmissions but t-5s are never more then marshmellow trannys soo....but ya the driveline is well brokin in and the motor was jus recently put in but i already broke it in and its on its 3rd oil change and i put in royal purple 10w30 some good ****.. and this weekend i plan to install the 70/30 struts and then geting an allighnment.... last weekend i only had time to put in the rear 50/50 shocks thats y im putting struts in...and then im puting in the fuel pump since u said i dun need the pressure regulator... and im installing the new adjustable clutch cable and the 70mm egr plate,then changeing tranny fluid,and then rear end fluid with new friction modifier and locas 80/90 gear oil...... o ya and i jus found out that the stupid mechanic set my timming to 10 and i had the old motor set at 13 and ran it with 93 oct.. i no wut u meen about the detination my car ran fine last time with 13 degrees...thats actually the first thing im doing becuase that helps with the hesitation it like opens up the power band alil bit..... but tell me wut u think about all that **** u think ill notice a diff and cut some good times at the track cuz this is my first time there with this car sooo ..........tell me wut u think..thanks......scott.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.