Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64-1/2 convertible that has been in storage for 15 - 20 years. It has a 289 in it. So far I have replaced the water pump, thermastat, and replaced the 2 core radiator with a new 3 core radiator. The engine is overheating. I am not sure why. When I took off the water pump one of the two holes behind it was completly blooked with calcium and lime deposits, so I cleared it out with a screwdriver and flushed out both holes with the garden hose. When I start the engine with the radiator cap off should I be able to see the antifreeze circulating thru the radiator? It's not. I can leave the cap off untill the thermostat opens and still no circulation. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
You might double check your timing. How's the hoses? If the block is full of garbage you might have to disaassemble it and have it hot tanked to boil the crud out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The block seems to be clear. I disconected all the hoses and took off the thermostat housing. Ran water thru all of them. It flowed very good from thermostat housing thru bottom radiator hose. I have not checked the timing - as it seems to run pretty good, I will do that tomorrow. I took out the thermastat and filled system with straight water and ran it for about 8 miles. When I got home I took off the radiator cap and checked water temp, it was about 205 degrees. All hoses are good. This is getting frustrating, it was only 63 degrees today.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Are your hoses collapsing? It is a valid problem. Also, your water pump might not be working properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No the hoses are not collapsing. When I took off the old water pump one of the holes behind it on the block was completly plugged with calcium and lime. I had to clear it with a screwdriver. I thought I flushed the block pretty good. After I put the new radiator in and ran the engine, I noticed all kinds of crud in the top of the radiator. So I pulled it out and flushed it, along with all the hoses and block again. Now it seems to be working as it has not over heated. I will put some more miles on it to find out for sure. Thanks Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.