Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys it's been a long time since i have been in the classic mustang forums and i know this question won't be for tech help, but i need your help. I just tried to auction my car off on ebay, but my reserve wasn't met. I did find out something interesting though. A guy decided to run my VIN and door data plate and discovered that i have a 1964.5 Pace car replica! Crazy, huh? I went to a couple of sites that decode your data plate and sure enough it came up as a Pace car replica. From what i have been able to find out only 180-190 of these cars were produced and the dealerships competed just to get these cars from ford. What i would like to know is, Is the door data plate the final say that this is a true Pace car replica, or do i need to check other things on the car? The car was originally white w/ a blue center stripe and had a 260 v8 motor. The car is currently blue w/ a 302 motor, but could be put back to original shape. Question #2: How much would this car be worth now, even with a different motor and paint job? I really could use some help here any info or recommended sites would be great, thanks!! :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
The door plate is a good start, but the VIN on the door should match all other VINs stamped on the car (there should be three in the engine area, only one visible; the other two need to have the fender removed to see). Post your data plate figures here to validate. The car would also have a hand-lettered "PACE CAR" on the radiator support under the black engine bay paint.

I own and show Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car coupe 5F07F116036, one of two known concours restorations. As far as value, it's hard to say without pictures.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a real pace car replica. The VIN on the door matches the one on the body in the engine compartment. "Pace Car" was found written in grease pencil on the radiator support. I sold the car too. I looked on NADA and they had a price for a pace car replica listed as $18500 for exc. condition. I thought they would be worth a lot more being that there were only 180-190 produced and I'm sure several of those are long gone by now. The car wasn't original, but I just thought for it to be a solid car with minimal rust it would bring a large amount of money, guess not. I couldn't even sell the thing for about 6 monthes. Even when I sold it I didn't get all that much for it. I really wanted to keep it, but couldn't afford to just leave it in the barn until I had the money to fix it up. Any more info/comments would be great.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It sounds like a keeper to me It will be one of those cars 5 years down the track you say why why why did I sell that

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oops, missed where you said you sold it. I guess we've all sold things we wish we hadn't...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Oops, missed where you said you sold it. I guess we've all sold things we wish we hadn't...
My dad was telling me the other day: He had a 1968(?) California Special that he sold for $500 (not a typo, $500) Reason: Cracked block. :sadcry: if only he had it today:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
You asked how much it would be worth, and it just so happens I was watching a special on pace cars last weekend on TV, and those very pace car replicas which Ford had out there (180 coupes I think?) are worth roughly twice what a similar equipped Mustang in the same condition would be worth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.