Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I've got a 64.5 Mustang with the 260 V-8/3 speed manual tranny that I'm looking to put new headers on. I'm having a dual exhaust put on and want to have the headers installed now to prevent exhaust fitment issues later. Anyhow, I'm still fairly new to all this mechanical stuff and fortunately have a buddy helping me out fixing little things here and there on the car.

Anyhow, I'm looking for a good quality header and stumbled across the Doug's Tri-Y's at a pretty good price. Here's the link: MUSTANG DOUG'S HEADERS TRI-Y 260/289/302 1-5/8"-2" STEPPED DESIGN CERAMIC COATED My question is with my 3 speed manual tranny, am I going to need the "clutch equalizer bar" (honestly I don't know what this is, but I think my buddy will be able to help with the install) that is mentioned as possible required parts at the bottom of the description of the header. If so, will the 289 bar fit the 260 3 speed tranny's clutch?

I was originally looking at the Patriot Tri-Y header, but I heard of a lot of quality control issues. It seems the Doug's are pretty nice and well-constructed in comparison, correct?

Any insight ya'll have is greatly appreciated! All the best!

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) :welcome
The equalizer bar that they are talking about is more commonly referred to as the Z-bar. The K codes (hipo) had a different Z-bar than the other V8 cars. So, if you have a 260, you already have the non-hipo Z-bar that they mentioned. Those headers should work just fine for your car. It will probably be a bit of a tight squeeze on the passenger side shock tower, but, they should be fine. :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yeah any good set of Tri-Y headers should fit in your car without too much hastle. I went with a set of Pertonix from CJ's. As Veronica said, the passenger side shock tower might get in the way a little, as well as the starter.

If you do have fitment issues, you could smack the headers a few times with a ball peen hammer. A few dents won't hurt the exhaust flow too bad. Also, you can jack the engine up ever so slightly and adjust the motor mount bolts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Veronica: Thanks for the welcome and the great information! :) This site is awesome and I've learned so much already. Stoked to get these bad boys installed on my new favorite toy! ha ha

@ T McGinley: Thanks for the response. I'm hoping to keep the banging on the headers to a minimum. ha ha How did you like those pertronix headers? I've heard overall construction isn't bad but it seemed there might be issues with getting good seals on the flange. Did you find this to be the case?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts