Ford Mustang Forum banner

1964 Mustang C4 Transmission Linkage Issue

12173 8
I purchased my 64 Mustang last fall and have just gotten around to checking out the mechanical side of the vehicle and have found that the shifter linkage rod that I have for a 1964 Mustang does not reach from the transmission to the shifter. I know the linkage bar is correct, but not sure what this means about the transmission. The engine is not original so I assume the transmission is not either. The vehicle has the 170ci with the C4 transmission. I was told the engine came out of a Falcon, but am not 100% sure. Do I need more than the linkage rod to connect the shifter to the transmission? Do I need an aftermarket shifter instead of the original? Or is this a different C4 transmission and I need to do something else? Thanks for any help
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Thank you for your responses. I will get out there today and see if I can find any identifying marks as to what C4 tranny I have. It sounds like PaulS might be right though. If so, is there any way to attach my floor shifter to a column shift transmission? Thanks
Okay...so I found this bracket

C4 SELECTOR SHAFT AND BRACKET SHAFT IN THE SIDE OF TRANSMISSION - CJ Pony Parts, Inc.

on cjpony and was wondering if this is what I should be looking at changing to. My current bracket doesn't look like this so I assume that I do have the column shfter bracket. Is it an easy bolt on job or is there a lot to do when changing one of these brackets? Thanks
Thanks for the advice PaulS. I think I have it pretty well figured out on how to get to the shaft and nut. I have been having trouble locating a new seal for the shaft and a quad ring for the kick-down lever. Do you know where I can find these or if they go by a different name?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.