Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can help. On my 641/2 convertible the left top latch has come unsecured. It uses a shoulder bolt to hold the latch in place. The bolt threads into a piece very similar to a Helicoil in the top frame. That piece appears to be held in place by a small roll pin that cannot be removed. The threaded sleeve has now come out with the bolt. Has anyone ever seen this and hopefully found a fix?? Thanks

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have a 1964 1/2 convertible. Do you mean the grab latch that secures the top to the windshield frame while the top is up?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Hope someone can help. On my 641/2 convertible the left top latch has come unsecured. It uses a shoulder bolt to hold the latch in place. The bolt threads into a piece very similar to a Helicoil in the top frame. That piece appears to be held in place by a small roll pin that cannot be removed. The threaded sleeve has now come out with the bolt. Has anyone ever seen this and hopefully found a fix?? Thanks

Hi,
I just looked at mine for reference. Is it possible to buy a repro unit and gut it for that frame part? I'm assuming, you want to keep as much of the OEM part in action as possible.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ken
The part they sell is the latch and shoulder bolt only. I need to figure out how to repair the prt that goes into the actual top frame. because of the limited visibilty in the area I may take it to my top guy and have him peel the top back to access from the top and fix it. I was hoping someone had successfully repaired this so I would know the correct fix before jumping in

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Hi Ken
The part they sell is the latch and shoulder bolt only. I need to figure out how to repair the prt that goes into the actual top frame. because of the limited visibilty in the area I may take it to my top guy and have him peel the top back to access from the top and fix it. I was hoping someone had successfully repaired this so I would know the correct fix before jumping in
OK,
I agree, with peeling back the material, as I had difficulty seeing the actual threaded section.
I'm trying to analize your comment.
"It uses a shoulder bolt to hold the latch in place. The bolt threads into a piece very similar to a Helicoil in the top frame. That piece appears to be held in place by a small roll pin that cannot be removed. The threaded sleeve has now come out with the bolt."

Would not the main frame be damaged in such away that allowed
threaded sleeve with the roll pin to come loose?

If this is the case, can the threaded sleeve be "MIG'd" in-place?
This is a PITA problem, for sure.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I am not sure I understand your question. Does your latch look anything like this picture?? If so, where is there anything resembling a heli-coil?
That's a great pic. I too, think it interesting where a heli-coil could be. Unless, a PO had installed one for the pivot bolt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not sure I understand your question. Does your latch look anything like this picture?? If so, where is there anything resembling a heli-coil?
Yes. I believe that is the underside of the latch and the screw head is the shoulder bolt. Here are some pics of mine that may help to explain
The second picture is the hole that the insert came out of in the top frame work. The 3rd is me pointing to the roll pin. The 4th is the insert

Attachments

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
My picture is from the top side, looking down through what would be the top fabric except that picture was taken after the fabric had all been removed and before I cleaned everything up.

I think you are saying that the pivot for the handle has come loose from the frame. And you also seem to be saying that the pivot bolt (the one with the huge, 1" head you can see down on the bottom in my picture) was threaded into a heli-coil in the frame. I am pretty sure that is not original and someone has added that insert as a repair. Those threads are into a pot metal(?) frame so that isn't too surprising.

So does mine come loose like that? No, mine has no insert. The $%^&*($ bolt on one side (left side BTW) wants to back out when you use the handle but otherwise I don't have any real problems as long as I tighten the pivot bolt regularly. I have tried locking it with Loctite but that doesn't work all that well because you can't really get the Loctite down where its needed because that spring makes putting it all together a real chore.

I still can't figure out where that roll pin is located. As far as I know, mine has no roll pin(s).

Wait a minute! Was that roll-pin through the side of that insert widget? If so, I can understand what they were trying to do (keep the insert from turning) but, again, that is a prior owner addition and not how Ford built the frames. BTW, that insert is not really a heli-coil but looks like someone's attempt to make a threaded insert to fix their problem. The only problem is how do you anchor it in a pot metal, or at best an aluminum frame.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts