Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1964 Ford Mustang troubled with steering wheel problem. When I steer fully left or right while driving, the wheels dont follow suddently turns. its like delay 2 or 3 sec before it really catches on. I think the steering gear box is the problem. Can any of you help me with this problem or ask me to clearify the question which I will be glad to. Let me know. Help please

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had to replace the steering gear box on my 68, not real hard (i had almost 8" of play in the wheel. you can adjust the manual gear box's I'm told but it involves setting the toe and stuff.

Question 1: manual or power steering?
Question 2: is it "free travel" that you feel in other words turn the wheel right till you feel it tug the wheels then left till you feel it tug the wheels again. or if power does it seem to "bind-up" as you start the turns? power steering fluid level? and is it fluid or oil, don't laugh i had a 66 that the guy ran motor oil in the PS

good luck

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am experincing a similar problem with my manual steering. I have ordered a steering box rebuild kit. The are pretty cheap (~$100 or so) compared to ordering new steering box 300+(but almost all the ones I have seem are 450+) . But that is just an idea.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
1964 Ford Mustang troubled with steering wheel problem. When I steer fully left or right while driving, the wheels dont follow suddently turns. its like delay 2 or 3 sec before it really catches on. I think the steering gear box is the problem. Can any of you help me with this problem or ask me to clearify the question which I will be glad to. Let me know. Help please
Hello trangear16,
You are probably on the right track but before you do much I would:
1. - Raise and support the front end.
2. -Have someone turn the wheel and watch the "pitman" arm movement.
This is the arm that connects to the steering box (sector shaft).
See if the pitman arm is turning with the wheel. There should be a slight amount of play.
3. - If pitman arm moves well, check the other front end components to be certain there is no play. There could be trouble with the center link or the idler arm which is located on the pass side of the center link. I know these terms may be new, but the point is look under the vehicle and be certain that all parts seems to be moving at pretty close to the same rate.

This is just a thought from an old back-yard mechanic and I have no experise in cars just a passion for keeping them on the road........Print Dad

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is it power steering? If it is, it could be that the PS valve at the end of the slave cylinder needs adjustment. The valve equalizes turning and return pressure from left to right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello trangear16,
You are probably on the right track but before you do much I would:
1. - Raise and support the front end.
2. -Have someone turn the wheel and watch the "pitman" arm movement.
This is the arm that connects to the steering box (sector shaft).
See if the pitman arm is turning with the wheel. There should be a slight amount of play.
3. - If pitman arm moves well, check the other front end components to be certain there is no play. There could be trouble with the center link or the idler arm which is located on the pass side of the center link. I know these terms may be new, but the point is look under the vehicle and be certain that all parts seems to be moving at pretty close to the same rate.

This is just a thought from an old back-yard mechanic and I have no experise in cars just a passion for keeping them on the road........Print Dad
Hello, Im fimilar with these terms since Im students at UTI. So no big deal and still learning though. Anyway Your comment sounds like something has to be related and I will have look at it this weekend to see whats up with it. I have a strong feeling about this is what is about. I will reply you back after i see whats goin on. Thanks for the words

1 - 8 of 8 Posts