Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1964 mustang and I replaced the spark plugs. Two of them had oil on them and one had what looked like soot. I'm assuming that I need to replace the piston rings on all the cylinders. Does anyone have any suggestions and is there a web site / book that can give me good step by step directions on how to do this? I would appreciate the help. :worship

·
Registered
472 Posts
Your oil problem on the plugs may be due to worn valve guides or seals. If its rings the car will smoke a lot on deaccelaration. Try Haynes or Chilton manuals for your application available at most automotive stores. Sooty plugs is usually too rich carb or sticking choke.

G

·
As mentioned above, check your valve guides and seals.

Also, if your car has a PCV valve check it, a clogged one that's sticking open can cause an oil fouled plug or two, if it doesn't, make sure your crankcase breather is in good shape, as these can cause oil to get sucked into the engine through their vacuum hose (if equipped, some older ones just vent to the atmosphere) when the element in them gets filled with oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.