Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I just traded my boat on a 1964 Mustang Coupe.
however the ownership lists it as a 65.
the VIN number is 5F07T264102 will this indicate the year?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Can you give us the information on the door tag? It will be a tag on the end of the driver door. It will have more info on your car including month and date that it was built.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i was on a website careandfeedingofponies and she had a great 64 1/2 kind of look for this and look for that post. it was pretty impressive. i think its a gal from texas who blogs about her mustangs.

·
Registered
406 Posts
That gal from Texas

That gal from Texas is Veronica, who in my estimation is in the top 10 of knowledgeable informative posters on this site. If you have VIN questions she will have the answer.
Fyi, there are a number of others who also are very knowledgeable here too, but there is just something about a Texas gal who is deep into mustangs..............
LOL

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I know a bisexual girl from texas who carries a magnum and drives a 1968 Mustang as her daily driver. :) rofl

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paul. Here is the link and an excerpt on how to tell the early and later 1965 Mustangs apart;

Jim Smart said:
We're amazed at the misconceptions ahoof about those early classic Mustangs; those classified ads worded "For Sale--1964 Mustang. . ." or enthusiasts boasting about their super-rare '64-1/2. Truth is, there has never been a '64 Mustang, ever. And honestly, whom are you kidding? The '64-1/2 Mustang isn't any more rare than one of its '65 counterparts. In fact, there are no '64-1/2 Mustangs at all; that title was coined by enthusiasts. The '64-1/2 Mustang is simply an early-production unit without the refinements that came later. And another thing, Ford never built a production '64-1/2 Mustang fastback.

Hope that helps.

Mac

·
Registered
134 Posts
By the way, 5F07T264102...

5 1965
F Dearborn
07 Hardtop
T 200 I6
Number 164102

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Hello everyone
Hi,
The early cars (March 1964 through about August) had a number of nuances that were not repeated a month or so later. The early cars, had generators, distinctive hood treatments (beveled corner lips) these matched special chamfered headlight doors. The gas cap was minus the cabled retainer, the door seals were covered with vinyl not carpet like the later cars. The oil fillers were in the timing chain cover, the horns were mounted on the frame rails, the horn brushes consisted of two unique spring units with copper lugs, the door locks had flat tops and color keyed to the interior, to name a few. There were other differences, such as, the dash bezel made a reference to the "GEN".
These are unique cars, none the less, as they are among the first production runs. BTW, mine is a May built vert. The 200 6s are special, in that, they were the entry level example of FORD's new sports car.
Happy trails!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone
There really is no such thing as a 1964 Mustang. All of the early Mustangs were still titled as 1965's, but when talking to Mustang enthusiasts the early built Mustangs are called 1964.5's.

Yours however is most likely a 1965, not an early 1964.5 judging by the engine code which is the T in the VIN you posted. The T signifies a 200 ci inline 6 engine. If it would be considered a 1964.5 it would have a U in place of the T and would have a 170 ci inline 6 engine.

Hope this helps and doesn't just confuse.

Rick

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hello everyone
First, welcome to the forum!

I'm assuming you don't have a door data plate. Looking at your VIN I see that your Mustang was built probably a few weeks after mine. My Mustang, also a Dearborn car has a build date of August 4, 1964 (04H). Comparing your VIN with mine and a couple other Dearborn built Mustangs I saw on the "Klaus" 64 1/2-66 Mustang registry, I think we can get close for you. Your VIN, 5F07T264102 falls after 5F08T264058 (17H, or Aug. 17, 64) and 5F08K264086 (18H, or Aug. 18, 64). I believe it's fair to say that your Mustang build date was on or just after Aug. 18, 1964. The two VINs I refer to are on p. 940 of the Klaus registry database. You should check it out.

Have fun with your new Mustang!

Early 64½-66 Mustang page of Klaus - Content

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
I know a bisexual girl from texas who carries a magnum and drives a 1968 Mustang as her daily driver. :) rofl
Hello. :) That's not me. :nogrinner My daily driver is a 64 1/2 convertible, my pistols, which stay at home, are a matched set of Beretta Stampede Philidelphia .45 caliber revolvers and a 9mm Beretta that my husband insisted that I get because it can make a whole bunch of noise in a hurry. I believe it's a 92, but, I don't mess with it very much. The revolvers are a lot prettier. :) And, I have absolutely no interest of that sort in women. I love my husband, and he loves me. :)

As far as the car in question goes, it would have had a scheduled production date of about 18H, which is August 18th of 64. This would be a car built during the regular 65 model year. The sequential number cut-off for Dearborn built cars on what would be considered a 64 1/2 is 250000. This car is about 14,000 cars too late. But, it is true that there were no Mustangs titled as 64 model cars. The official 'First Mustang' had the VIN of 5F08F100001, which is the VIN of a 65 model car, even though it was built in March of 64. :)

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
I will give you $1,000,000 for any Mustang that has a 1964 VIN.

Anyone that says that they have a 1964 1/2 Mustang is poorly misinformed or a liar

The VERY first production Mustang is in the Henry Ford Museum and is displayedas a 1965 Mustang. Nuf said.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) Well, now. There's a blast from the past. My very first conversation at this site, something like 8 years ago, was on this very subject, with this very person. :gringreen Actually, Twister, there are a few Mustangs around that actually have a 4 for the first digit of the VIN. They are obviously mis-stamps, and, one of them is even a fastback. But, just to pick up where we left off, :gringreen everybody knows that there weren't any Mustangs titled as 64 model cars. The '64 1/2' designation is something used by enthusiasts, not DMVs. The term does indeed have meaning, since everybody immediately knows what you're talking about when you use it, and there is a very long list of significant differences between the Mustangs built during the 64 model year and the ones built during the 65 model year, and the differences between a 65 Mustang built before August 1st of 64 and a 65 Mustang built after August 1st are far more numerous and significant than the differences between a 65 Mustang built after August 1st and a 66 model Mustang. But rather than rehash this one, I think that we can just pull up the old thread and save needless wear and tear on our keyboards. :D The particulars of the cars haven't changed any since then. :)

Here it is. :)
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...g-horn-button-has-secret-hidden-how-rare.html

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
Hi again. :) Well, now. There's a blast from the past. My very first conversation at this site, something like 8 years ago, was on this very subject, with this very person. :gringreen Actually, Twister, there are a few Mustangs around that actually have a 4 for the first digit of the VIN. They are obviously mis-stamps, and, one of them is even a fastback. But, just to pick up where we left off, :gringreen everybody knows that there weren't any Mustangs titled as 64 model cars. The '64 1/2' designation is something used by enthusiasts, not DMVs. The term does indeed have meaning, since everybody immediately knows what you're talking about when you use it, and there is a very long list of significant differences between the Mustangs built during the 64 model year and the ones built during the 65 model year, and the differences between a 65 Mustang built before August 1st of 64 and a 65 Mustang built after August 1st are far more numerous and significant than the differences between a 65 Mustang built after August 1st and a 66 model Mustang. But rather than rehash this one, I think that we can just pull up the old thread and save needless wear and tear on our keyboards. :D The particulars of the cars haven't changed any since then. :)

Here it is. :)
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...g-horn-button-has-secret-hidden-how-rare.html

Veronica, saying that anyone has a 1964 1/2 Mustang is like saying that you have a Pontiac Corvette. IT IS JUST WRONG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yet another missing '65 door data plate

Hi Everyone, Thanks for building a brilliant empire of information to sift thru. I'm a new owner of a 1965 conv. (fairly tidy barn find here in Bahrain).And of course the door data tag is missing.This car has been in Bahrain (at least) since 1990. From this website and its links I have most of the info to get the door tag remade. Just missing that elusive date code. And of course DSO. Here's what I have so far...
Body Color Trim Date DSO Axle Trans Warranty Number
76B H 62 xxx xx 6 6 5F08C600541

From another post from the ever-brilliant-Veronica, I've found Consec Unit# 600457 with 16A(Jan16), so I suspect mine will be the same. Confusion factor starts with the 289 2V code. C5AE-6015E 5K5 (5 Oct '65). The diff date code is WCZ-E 2.80 5AB (2nd week Jan '65) which ties in nicely with the car but not the motor.And yet everything "seems' so original.
I've been searching for body stamps - the only one so far is on the RH top guard (outer guard) which has "172".
Good luck, and thanks for everything so far. Mike in the Sandpit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts