Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if any of you have ever seen (or own) one of the original Tiffany pendants issued for the introduction of the '64 Mustang. Have been researching this for 7+ years on net and can't seem to find much info on this. I would like an estimate of the value of this item, appraisers don't understand that these were likely produced in a small run by Tiffany and few exist today. Have seen the youtube videos featuring the pendant and the inset pics in the old mag. ads. Have sent inquiries to many Mustang Magazines and no one seems to know much about this. I do know that Ford got J.W. Thompson to commission this thru Tiffany (kinda as a gimmick) to help with the marketing/advertising. Would like your best guesses at the value of this item.
Pete

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I have seen one. I would LOVE to own one. Because of my college I get the AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America) monthly newsletter. In the September/October 2009 edition there is an article about it. It is a sterling silver medallion with a sterling silver lariat ring. On one side it says "Tiffany Award For Exellence in American Design" around the edge of the medallion and in the center on the same side it says "For the Ford Mustang Design-Approved By Tiffany & Co 1964". On the other side it has the picture you use for an avatar. The person who had the article about it said his sister got it from Ford Motor Company when she bought a new Mustang in 1964.

Like I said, I would LOVE to own one, but it is extremely difficult to find one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1964 Mustang Award - Tiffany Award

Just a quick note on this item... I hadn't logged onto AFM for awhile and noticed that when I searched on this Award, a 'google' return showed this item as 'SOLD', which is not the case. I still have this Award and am open to selling it. As the previous info stated, I have been the sole owner of the Tiffany Award and have been unable to get a proper appraisal as it doesn't fall neatly into a category of items to appraise.
Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
443 Posts
This is very cool. Oddly enough, it reminds me of a holy medal.

It's distinctly possible that to some people, it is. :)

Doc

·
Registered
924 Posts
Isn't Tiffany's still in business? If they are, have you tried contacting them? For some reason the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's" comes to mind. All I know about them is that they were a famous jewelery store in New York City.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I had asked someone with an award and they said when they contacted Tiffany they couldn't help.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello. :) That isn't going to be a figure that is easily deduced. It's not like having a piece of jewelry or something appraised. It would be more like a vintage car. You would have to compare it to other, similar items that have sold recently, and, I don't recall ever having seen one of those things actually sell. You would kind of have to flip it around and ask yourself how much would you be willing to pay for one. It would be a kind of cool having one, but, I don't think that most people would think that it was five hundred dollars worth of cool. Once you define your target audience for the item that might be willing to actually cough up a little money for it, you would see that, although a rare item, it's also a pretty small audience. Somebody with a trailered/concours 64 1/2 Mustang that they are campaigning on the show circuit would really like to have one of those for their display, but, there aren't very many of those people. I do know that I collect neat stuff like that, and have a 64 1/2 convertible, but, I'm sitting here thinking " I saw one of these for sale at price X. Should I buy it?" and the figure at which I wouldn't even consider buying it is not very high. You could always go the ebay route. Let the marketplace decide what it's worth. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.