Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install the modified style 1965-6 battery tray that uses the hold down from 1967-70. The problem is the battery tray does not want to go in, the holes do not line up. Looks like i am gonna have to modify a modified battery tray. Seems like the bottom piece might be welded on crooked, (made by dynacorn). Has anyone installed one of these on their 65-66 mustang? Trying to get this style of hold down so I don't have to run a battery with a lip on the bottom, plus the original 65-6 hold down does not seem like it does a very good job.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
You might want to throw the thing away. I haven't tried the '67 style, but the standard repro '66 is made so poorly, and incorrectly, that it is impossible to make it work. The brace plate on the bottom is welded at the incorrect angle (mirror image of what it should be) for starters.

I finally got mine to 'fit' but the battery leaned towards the radiator so badly it looked like it was going to fall out. I cleaned up my old one and put it back on. I was told they are ALL made in China and none of them work.

I'll GIVE you, or anyone else, my repro if you pay the postage.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I can only chime in with that I ordered and received from CJ Pony Parts last year the BT9 part (which is the 64-66 battery tray), which is modified to use a 67-70 holddown clamp(BTC3K).

No problems with it at all, and the holddown works well. I do remember it was a pain to put in, but I was able to get it to fit after a bit of work using the original holes.

I have a 66 coupe.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I can only chime in with that I ordered and received from CJ Pony Parts last year the BT9 part (which is the 64-66 battery tray), which is modified to use a 67-70 holddown clamp(BTC3K).

No problems with it at all, and the holddown works well. I do remember it was a pain to put in, but I was able to get it to fit after a bit of work using the original holes.

I have a 66 coupe.
I just got my 2nd BT 9 from CJ Baloney and neither fit. Not one gd hole on the battery tray lines up with the holes on the chassis. The stupid bracket is welded to the tray too far back, thus it will not fit. :cursing:

And of course the angle is not present so the battery would hit the radiator as mentioned above.

Both went back, these were the new style with 67-70 hold down.
sparx

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi: Got mine from NPD, a little tweek on the angle of the leg brace (used original as template) and fit very well with all holes lining up. Hold down works fine and looks nice. Hope this helps.
fjd

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi: Got mine from NPD, a little tweek on the angle of the leg brace (used original as template) and fit very well with all holes lining up. Hold down works fine and looks nice. Hope this helps.
fjd
Is it the new style with the clamp across the top of the battery?
sparx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts