Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just setting up mustang, it has been running fine in the shop, only about 2 hours on new carb, irrelivent, and only about 2 mile road tested,
now when i tried to start, the wire from the igition coil to the points has over heated and melted and also the points have melted, changed them today and same thing, i thought that it may have been old wiring, but no, new coil, new condenser, spark plugs, wires all new.
like i said it ran well, but now after only turning engine for about 20 seconds, they melted again,
thanks
mark

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
There is a resistor built into the ignition wire that limits current to the coil - it sounds like someone replaced it with a normal wire. When the points close the only resistance is the coil without the resistor wire and it isn't enough to keep the wire from burning.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you, i have never changed that wire(+) and i have owned the car for 23 years, it sat for the last 15 though, so just so i have this, there is a special wire from the ignition to the coil (+), the wire that burnt is the (-) to the points and condensor. and the points melted, twice, new wire didnt, however im not saying it wouldnt have.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
With the key in run, you should only get about 6.5 volts to the coil. If you are getting above that, the resistor wire is bad. Good luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sounds like you are pulling too much current through the points. To check, remove the wire from the negative side of the coil. Attach one lead from an ammeter to the negative post on the coil. run the other wire to a ground (block) Turn on the ignition and note the amount of current the coil is drawing. If it is more then a couple of amps you may have an internal short in the coil, and will need to replace it.
My $.02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts