Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm looking for anyone that might have a Dog Dish style flywheel in good shape for sale. I've got a 65 with a 200 six and 3 speed manual. Mine has a minor crack, worn teeth and a broken clutch cover bolt.

Also, I'm trying to determine precisely what trans I have. these are the markings on my Tranny:
C40R-7008-A
W-3
On the tail its marked: C4GR-7A040-A

I'm assuming this is a C4 but nothing's jumping out at me saying it's a 2.77 or 3.03 or if that even applies to this trans. Help, I'm tranny stupid.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi, 3stang; Always know the only stupid question is the one not asked! In regards to the trans, for '65, I'm pretty sure it will be the light-duty 277 box. The C4 designation is for the 3-spd automatic trans. For specifics, try to find a tag on the box (usually bolted on) similar in size to the engine tag or the rear axle tag.
As for the flywheel, they're out there. Find someone who has just dumped their six for a V8. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, 3stang; Always know the only stupid question is the one not asked! In regards to the trans, for '65, I'm pretty sure it will be the light-duty 277 box. The C4 designation is for the 3-spd automatic trans. For specifics, try to find a tag on the box (usually bolted on) similar in size to the engine tag or the rear axle tag.
As for the flywheel, they're out there. Find someone who has just dumped their six for a V8. Good luck.
Thanks Ironhorse, the tag has the following numbers on it:
5814100 T 9964

·
Registered
210 Posts
I did a quick tour thru Google, but nobody has an ID list on the 2.77 box. They all say the best ID is a 4-bolt top cover and a non-syncro first gear. It's possible that the 9964 is a production date, maybe 9/Sept/1964? Keep reading, there's a lot of folks on this site with good info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts