Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any options for aftermarket carbs and if so what is the best for reliability and price it also needs to be for a manual trans and have electric/automatic choke. It is the inline 6 200 no engine mods pretty much stock.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm not going to make any suggestions. classicinlines.com is a good site for seeing whats available and fordsix.com is a very good forum to answer your question.

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mar721 - I own a 66 Mustang with the 200 cu. in. 6 cylinder and 3 speed manual transmission. My car has a Holley 1940 carburetor. Many owner's of Mustangs and Falcons with the 170 and 200 cu. in. 6 cylinder complained in the late 60s because the Autolite 1100 had drivability issues (stumbling, balking, etc). Ford replaced the Autolite 1100 with a new Holley 1940 as a service replacement part. I have owned 2 1963 Falcons and my current 66 Mustang. All had a 6 cylinder engine. My 66 Mustang with the 1940 Holley runs better than my Falcons or any other 6 cylinder with the Autolite 1100. You can buy the Holley on Ebay or from other parts suppliers. They are not expensive. Rebuild kits are available everywhere. This carburetor was used on many cars in the 60s & 70s. My Holley 1940 is marked with the Motorcraft name (since it was a Ford Service Part). The part number on my carburetor is D0PF-9510-K. D = 1970s, 0 = 1970, P = Replacement Part, F = fuel system, 9510 = Ford generic part number for a carburetor, K = used for 200 cu. in. 6 cylinder. Pony Carburetors has a better Autolite 1100 available but the price is over $400.00 and I have seen mixed reviews on the Mustang Forums. I hope this information helps.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I currently have an autolite 1100 (I think its a pony carb, I don't know, it was a gift from boss). But I am getting an adapter from classic inlines to put an autolite 2100 on my car.

·
Registered
547 Posts
+1 on the Holley 1940. I've run one in my 65 convertible since I've owned it. Very reliable, easy to work on and like Tbirdtony said, parts/rebuild kits are still available. I recently found a 1940, never used, still in the box, so they're still out there.

Good luck!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts