Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
What factors determine the side the ignition coil mounts on?

My car has it on the passenger side of my 289, but I have seen some pictures of drivers side mountings. The only factor that I see is an a/c car has the compressor on the drivers side pushing the coil to the passenger side. I do not have a/c yet it is on the passenger side.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I dont know the answer to that question either but been wonderin for long time. My '66 has the coil mounted on passenger side - top of manifold on side/front of carb. Might have something to do with having TE tho.

I seen them mounted on passenger side on "front" of engine - close to where my oil dipstick is and havn't been able to figure out the differences.

The GT model has them mounted on drivers side same place on front - just on different sides...far as i know.

So, maybe Ivy or Veronica could let us know...we will be waiting. :yup:

·
Registered
248 Posts
both my 67 and 68 each having 289 with factory a/c had them mounted in the front passenger side of the engine. I figured it was closer to the coil making a shorter HT wire to the cap.
Dave

·
Registered
301 Posts
64 1/2's mount them on top of the intake, pass side, in front of the carb. Most original 65's that I have seen originally mounted them pass side near the dispstick as noted. I mounted mine on the Driver's side. I may need to move it when I install A/C.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
All you guys need to buy the Mannel book then you can read all this for yourself. :) Its nearly an inch and a half thick. Mustang & Ford Small Block V8, 1962-1969

The coil moved all around. In 62-64 on the first SBFs it was usually laying on top of the intake manifold on the passenger side since the oil filler tube was in front of the passenger head. That is, except for some HiPos. For '65 the oil filler was in a valve cover and the coil went to standing upright on the front of the passenger head. Then in '66 came the air pumps for TE and where the coil ended up depended upon more variables. By '68 the coil was back up on top again like it had been originally. Then in '69 it went back to the front of the passenger head where it had been for 65/67 on non-TE cars.

You can't tell the players without a program. The book has a separate chapter for each year with 100s of pictures of how they did all the details.

·
Registered
240 Posts
gsco, are you asking for correctness? If so, the the prior responses should point you in the right direction as far as "packaging" for your specific accessories and user.

However, for coil longevity, it is best to relocate it to the inner fender. This isolates the coil from engine vibration and gets it farther away from heat. However, you'd need to find a longer coil to distributed wire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not really looking for correctness for judging. I am more just curious because I noticed the difference when looking at photos of others engine bays.

I have just completed a Painless Wiring Harness install and now I'm interested in engine bay wire routing.

Thank you all for the time to reply.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Greg,

I just noticed that these are your first postings here. I forgot to give you the usual ... Welcome to AFM.

I hope we were of some help to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts