Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this strange issue with getting my car started after it sits for certain periods of time.

The problem is that, after sitting for about 1 to 2 hours, the prong on my rotor looses contact with the carbon post in my cap, and to get my car to start, I have to bend it upward to restore the contact. This ONLY happens when it sits from 1 to 2 hours. Less than 45 minutes, no problem more than about 2 hours, no problem. I really dont know what to do. I have an ACCEL 8348 high performance cap and rotor. All the adjusting of the prong is causing the carbon post to wear REALLY quickly and I dont want to have to shell out 50 bucks every month for a new cap. This is the third ACCEL 8348 cap that I have bought in the past year. At first the problem goes away when I replace the cap, but it gradually gets worse and worse.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Have you replaced the rotor?

·
Registered
491 Posts
It sounds like the carbon contact is wearing much too fast even on a new cap. When you replace the cap do you replace the rotor button at the same time?

Have you pulled the distributor to make sure the distributor gear is not wearing abnormally, allowing the shaft to drop, hence having to adjust the rotor button contact?

Worst case is contact Accel and see if they have heard of this problem with their distributor.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ranger1, @stangpainter I have replace the rotor each time. But i have not yet pulled the distributor to check if the shaft has been dropping. My only question about that is would the shaft drop vary based on the temp of the engine? Because if, after it wont start, i let it sit for another hour or two, it will start without any adjustment on my part.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I have this strange issue with getting my car started after it sits for certain periods of time.

The problem is that, after sitting for about 1 to 2 hours, the prong on my rotor looses contact with the carbon post in my cap, and to get my car to start, I have to bend it upward to restore the contact. This ONLY happens when it sits from 1 to 2 hours. Less than 45 minutes, no problem more than about 2 hours, no problem. I really dont know what to do. I have an ACCEL 8348 high performance cap and rotor. All the adjusting of the prong is causing the carbon post to wear REALLY quickly and I dont want to have to shell out 50 bucks every month for a new cap. This is the third ACCEL 8348 cap that I have bought in the past year. At first the problem goes away when I replace the cap, but it gradually gets worse and worse.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Hi,
I'll throw this out there, ............after the 2 hr period, pull a plug wire or the coil wire from the dist., place it near a ground, have a helper crank it, while you look for spark. Spark, no spark?

·
Registered
491 Posts
The heat/cool cycle over a 2 hr period and loosing spark is what makes no sense to me. If there is a ground lead in the distributor make sure it is clean and tight and the electronic module is grounded. I am assuming it is an electronic distributor.

With cap off and rotor removed how much up and down play do you have on the shaft?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I would say either the electronic module is bad or the sensor needs to be adjusted, these ignition systems produce a lot of potential, in open air it should be able to jump an 1", but something usually breaks down and the energy goes elsewhere. If you have your old points and condensor and coil, put them back in and see how you do. I still run points and condensor, I can turn my 289 to 7500 rpms, and start the car at -10 deg F in the winter. MY 2 cts. Good Luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for all of your replies, unfortunately since I posted this my car was totaled by someone running a red light, so I wont be able to test your suggestions.

Thanks again
-Bryce

1 - 9 of 9 Posts