Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Just got a 1965 with 289 and thanks to great advice on this site I have changed the plugs, wires, Dist. Cap, rotor and points.

Now for the Fule Filter : my Shop manual seens to be describing an inline filter, which i do not have. I think i have found the Fuel pump on the right ( driver side ) bottom next to the oil filter. ( im new at this ) Can some one help with a break down of how to change the filter, so i dont dump gas everywhere.

And I want to change the Carb out from the 2 barrel thats there any suggestions for a good and easy switch? Thanks!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Should be a fuel filter screwed into the carb where the fuel line enters the carb. The fuel line is actually clamped to it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My chiltons manual states that the 65 model still used the canister type screwed to the bottom of the fuel pump.
It is very unlikely that it is still like that as almost all were
changed out and went to the style described by rickster65.
There is also a basic inline with clamps on both ends that could be placed anywhere inline.
Then there is a chance that some one just removed the filter and didn't bother to replace it. Not good.
Mike

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mhg

Would that canister be located lower right hand side down by the oil filter? If so thats what i have

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
:smilie Welcome to AFM

Many of the 65 289's had the fuel pump with the fuel filter inside the canister. You simply unscrew the canister and replace the element inside. These elements are readily available from Mustang Suppliers and Auto Parts Stores (Napa). Some people like to run an inline fuel filter. These are also readily available and pretty inexpensive. Because I have a steel fuel line all the way to the carb, the picture shows the only reasonable place I was able to find to put it. You can run the original or both.
You're personal choice. Good Luck! :winks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
65 Fixup, I like the way you set that up. I also have steel line to the Carb. I went with rubber hose from pump to carb (temporarily) and a plastic inline filter about 4-5" from the fuel pump. (towards Carb) I wanted to see if there was lots of rust coming up. So far the inline filter is still brand new looking after 500 miles.

I want to put the steel line back on tho. Think i will try to find a filter like the one you got. Thanx.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
65 Fixup

THANKS for the picture. That took all of one minute to change i will add the inline just like you have. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts