Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I replaced my plugs a few months ago and fixed the valve cover leaks. Today when I checked the plugs, there is oil on the threads but the tips look good. Currently she has a 2bbl holley carb with a pcv. I'm posting in hopes that a person smarter than me can help me in the right direction. I'm not exactly looking to rebuild the motor just yet.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Generally oil on the threads means the valve covers are leaking, however, if the crankshaft pressure becomes too high it can force oil past the gaskets and seals, the only way to kind of tell is to wipe off the valve covers and see if oil forms on the one where the breather cap is after driving it some. Did you tap the holes (where the bolts went through the valve cover) back flat, as they are normally dished from the bolts being tightened, sometimes too much, if you have cork gaskets, they should only be snug where they won't work loose, then as the cork shrinks, they will need to be retightened, if you have neoprene, some have a insert in the gasket hole to prevent over compressing the gasket. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
:) Welcome to AFM...Glad you're here.

Rex's advice is spot on. I would certainly begin with that.

If you don't have a good torque wrench, I would seriously consider adding one to your tool box. Every bolt and nut on your car has a torque limit. Even good mechanics guess wrong without one.

The torque limit for valve covers on a 65 is 3-5 lbs. That's not much. My definition of snug may be different then yours. You need the torque wrench !! Good Luck. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses! Valve covers are dry, no leaks, and after that I replaced the plugs just to see, thats when I noticed the oily threads. I have seen a lot of posts and did some google searches and found PCV as a potential cause. I'll replace it, cheap enough, wipe the threads and drive it some more :bounce2:. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts