Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my brake lights on my car iwll sometimes just randomly stop working. and then after a while theyll start working again. Not the bulbs, the wiring hasnt been touched. im just lost. any info?

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) If they both stop working and start working again together, the first thing that I would check is the brake light switch. :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If i even get close to the wire on my right rear light, the wire gets moved & the lights dont work. I just remember (try to) double check the light every time i mess with the spare tire or whatever. A little wiggle makes it work again. :yup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i just wired up the kickpanels with some 6 1/2s and the tweeters (can post pics if anyone is thinking about buy these kickpanels) but then they stopped working. theyve done it for a long time. they dont work then ill be driving around, and noticed they randomly started working again. the lights will still work, just no the brake lights. ill check the brake light switch, its pretty new, but maybe it just needs a good wiggle

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so the brake light switch has two wires that run into it. one is always a hot wire and then when the brake is pressed down the other wire gets the electricity. tested with a test light, and they both are getting power when the brake is pressed. then i check my tail light wiring plugs, and they arnt getting power. where would the problem be? Im not a wiring guy at all, and i have no idea where the wires that come from the brake light switch go to. i really need to get this fixed because i have a show this weekend!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi there, both lights are feed from the cable that goes out of the brake light switch, it runs from the kick panel side to the back under the door frame, i cant recall the name but you will have to remove the molding that holds the carpet down in the area where the door/floor carpet meet, it goes from there to the back and then splices to feed both lights, check the cable it may be damaged and don't forget to check the lights for good ground connection.
Hope this helps :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was thinking it may be the turn signal switch....? it has a new brake light switch, and a new light switch. because if it had a bad ground, none of the lights would work right? ill look ever that wiring and make shure there isnt anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
i was thinking it may be the turn signal switch....? it has a new brake light switch, and a new light switch. because if it had a bad ground, none of the lights would work right? ill look ever that wiring and make shure there isnt anything wrong with it.
That is a good possibility that it could be the turn signal switch. The wire from the brake light switch goes to the turn signal switch and then becomes two wires. One for each side.

When it stops working try wiggling the turn signal switch and see it it starts working.
That would pretty much prove out the cause.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its going to the local classic mustang shop tomorrow. i cant figure it out. and i hate electric work. hopefully its just the turn signal switch

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry on the late update. it was the turn signal switch tho! bought a new one, and after about 10 mins, the old one was trashed and the new one was installed and the brake lights were alive!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts