Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there...ready to upgrade my front five lug drums to disk breaks...just not sure if I want to go through the expense of getting a restored set of factory K/H set up or the current SSBC conversion kit for 800 bucks..has anyone here converted useing the SSBC..any comments or referals to other conversion kits??

THanks all..

·
Registered
56 Posts
disc brake conversion

I just purchased my disc conversion kit from Dennis @ www.discbrakeswap.com. It arived @ my door step 3 days after I ordered it and Dennis really seems to know what he's talking about. I'm installing it this weekend. It was by far the most cost effective kit out there. I looked for one for about a month.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahhhhh

just went to his site...saw this kit
64-66 Mustang Disc Brake Swap

SWAP.1311

not only is it the four piston set up I want but it has the slotted rotors and its three hundred less than the kit I found for 800...was it all in SSBC boxes or what? Just wondering if his pics are just copied pics of the kit that SSBC sells? What was your total to the door?

Thanks so much..

Jimmy

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
They are his kit. I have his Granada kit on our 66. He came out the with that kit after we had ours installed. It is a great deal and everything is as advertised.
Dennis was very helpful with questions before and after my purchase. Great product, great price, great service... Boy I sound like an Ebay ad.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Check out Rod and Custom Motorsports. I am pleased with their unit and it was inexpensive. I'll use them again for the rear setup.

·
Registered
262 Posts
jberela,
The kit I got was from R&C Motorsports. It installed easily and has performed perfectly for ove 2 years so far. The kit was less than $600 delivered to my door. It contained everything necessary except for some hard brake lines. Everything new and quality parts, easily available at any parts store, anywhere.
As close to a R&R as is possible!!!
Great kit!!!
Their website is: rcmotorsports.net

ANDREWMP6---take note--I think you had the incorrect website--R&C Motorsports is in South Carolina, in the same place for more than 20 years! They really know their stuff.

Give them a look!!
Jay67fast

·
Registered
186 Posts
For a budget minded swap I used these guys ..Scarebird Classic Brakes LLC

Their kit was easy to install and cost me less than $300 total to swap to disc brakes
It is a single piston kit that utilizes *gasp* S-10 calipers and pads.
Their kit is basically a set of caliper brackets and a parts list to go to the salvage yard or parts store with . The only thing I had to source was a Granada combination valve

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
The brackets from scarebird are too thin and the welds look like crap i wouldn't use them.Besides the s10 calipers and ranger rotors another not good idea.Brakes are something you never want to chance on.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The brackets from scarebird are too thin and the welds look like crap i wouldn't use them.Besides the s10 calipers and ranger rotors another not good idea.Brakes are something you never want to chance on.
My kit is an older one and it uses 68/69 MUSTANG rotors and The brackets I got in my kit are extremely high quality.
I can only speak for my pair though .
I don't know what brackets you had in your hands that were thin with crappy welds .??:scratchchin
And just out of curiosity why are S-10 calipers not a "good idea"?
I did quite a bit of research before using their kit as well as checking testimonials and I found no complaints .
The system in my car works flawless , every bit as good as my buddy's Granada conversion :bigthumbsup
Again I can only speak about my experience .
I have enclosed a close up picture to show the actual thickness of the brackets too

Attachments

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
They must have wised up they use to use thinner brackets that would bend.The s10 weights more then a mustang and its brakes are crappy all but the zq3/99 up blazer has a 2 piston caliper which is nice.I think the granada pistons are bigger then the s10 ones but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
186 Posts
They must have wised up they use to use thinner brackets that would bend.The s10 weights more then a mustang and its brakes are crappy all but the zq3/99 up blazer has a 2 piston caliper which is nice.I think the granada pistons are bigger then the s10 ones but i could be wrong.
Fair enough .. I thought maybe you knew someone who had a catastrophic experience. I was getting nervous ;)

I don't know exactly the size of the Granada calipers either but I looked long and hard at different setups before I did the conversion and have had no problems in almost 4 years ( and I live in the east Tn mountains)

I was picturing myself plummeting of a cliff due to a design flaw I was unaware of :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.