Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how many springs there are supposed to be in a 65 mustang z bar setup? The ones I know of are from the clutch pedal to firewall from the inside of the car. Also from the lower push rod to the clutch fork. I have heard that there may be a third one that goes on the top of the z bar to a bracket bolted to the firewall inside the engine bay. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know you may be right. In that case I'm thinking that manufacturers thought it would be a good idea to produce a clutch fork for the 65 that had a slot to hold the spring just for added security. I have seen two different types of springs on the fork though. One is really long, about 14.25 inches. One end connects from the clutch fork to somewhere else in the car (not sure where) and then there is one that is a little over 3 inches I beleive. I might go with the long one. I just need to figure out where the other end connects to. haha

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
There is another thread today about clutch springs with pictures: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...-bar-return-spring-location-1966-mustang.html

I am told that the upper spring was on the later '66. They used one or the other on the Z-bar, but not both. The upper one requires a little clip in the firewall but, provided that clip is there, its easier to install then the lower one. That might explain why Ford changed so it was easier to assemble the cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
perfect! thats exactly what im looking for! would it be a bad thing to add to both springs on there for a quicker clutch pedal return?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I don't know that both springs would hurt anything but I doubt it would help much. They are pretty weak compared to the internal springs in the clutch. Either of the Z-bar springs are more to keep the pedal against its upper stop rather to help with clutch engagement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts