Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

In an effort to get my car ready for someone to begin restoration, I finally removed the last of the interior - the dash pad and the headliner. The dash pad was cracked in (3) places and didn't take a lot to remove. The headliner on the other hand, what a mess.
I say that only because of the old fiberglass insulation and the critter remains. PU.
It was not pretty. I was wondering where the stench was coming from after having removed everything else from the interior. I had a rash on my arms for 3 days from that insulation. The roof bows were in good shape. After remiving the vinyl from the A pillars, I discovered rust. It appears as though it will strip off ok. I'm one of those procrastinators who can't decide what to do. I've even thought of selling it. It just sits in dry storage with the cover on waiting for me to make up my mind. Its paid for, so it can just sit until I either find someone to do the work or get an offer on it. As soon as I get a chance, I'll post pics of its condition.

Joe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Restore a 65 Fast Back

I'm in the same boat, I have an old race car, same car Red on Red with dealer installed Shelby goodies. However left outside by the last owner for much too long.
Just keep after it, I have had mine for 14 years now, I am just now going back in after the minor rust under the leaf spring rails.

If you have the means media blast it and start over.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 65 coupe that I am vested in putting it back to factory original including resisting the temptation to put windshield washers on it. I have my car stripped down to the core and am welding in new panels where necessary (and of course I am anal retentive about that). But keep with it. My goal is to have mine ready for Woodward this summer.

·
Registered
449 Posts
lol, i just hope that when im older im not trying to get rid of what was once my dream car. if i were u guys, i would not let go of a fastback, i cant afford one now (but if more people feel the way u guys do, the odds are in my favor ha!), and i got to much in my 65 notch. plus i grew really attached to my 65 shes the only girl who wont get mad at me for bringing along other girls hahaha. my point is really, if u dont love it get rid of it, make some one else happy, but ur gonna regret it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
65 FB restore

I get your point, but I really do like this car, just sent off new glove box door for Carrol Shelby to sign, and the engine is out again. We will strip it down properly and start over.
I am doing far less clug racing an far more working, so restoration is the direction for the car now. But I do need some direction on where to get the interior rear sail pannels, and a back seat top complete.

Can't sell it, wifes favorite song is Mustang Sally...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.