Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -

Purchased a 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe 3 weeks ago. Body is pretty straight. Does have some rust in the under carriage, very minor surface rust in a couple places. Interior is stripped, the guy I bought it from was in the process of restoring it too. Gave me brand new carpeting, original front seats, original shifter. It runs pretty good. Working on fixing the brakes right now. I'm at a stand still now. I don't know the proper order I should start working on the car. Should I do the body first, engine, suspension, brakes, interior? I don't want to start buying new pieces and putting them on rusty, muddy old pieces. Any direction to start would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I restored one about 8 months ago. I got the car basicly a rolling frame with an engine, and the rest of the car was in boxes and containers.Idid a front disk brake job and pulled the engine to have it looked through from a friend. I worked on under carriage items, (cleaning , painting) while the engine was out. One thing i wish i would have done before paint was install body parts to make sure all the lines and gaps were good. If you need to do any wiring, it's a good idea to do while the interior is out, for the ease of getting to tight spaces under the dash. Make sure you use masking tape and protective blankets after it comes back from paint, while working on it. Good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
PS

Forgot to mention, got all my parts from cj pony, good prices and free shipping on every order. Most parts usaully ship in about 3 days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you throw into it? I have dough, but I'm not rich if you know what I mean.

I'm thinking about taking it into a ship so they can sand blast it and do some body work on it. I'm just scared to see the price of everything. How long did it take you TOTAL to fix the car up?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got the car with all the body work done and primed. I put less than 6k into it. New wiring harness, new tires,new shocks, new ac unit, front disc brake conversion, paint, new exhaust, new starter, new radiator, electronic ignition, new wiper switch, and various small items. Paint was 3k of the 6k. I worked on it on weekends mostly, for about 8 months with the painter having it for 6 weeks(he also only worked on weekends) I sent it to the painter as a bare frame on wheels, he painted the inside also. I took off a week of work and put the car back together, installed the engine and transmission, including wiring harness, and front and rear glass,door windows, interoir and head liner in 10 days I had it on the road. Spent a few more weekends on small touch up items

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Welcome to AFM. Great Forum with Great People. :smilie

You asked for an opinion so here's mine. I've done several cars so I'm going to give you what works for me. I'm sure others will jump in with some more valuable information.

First, I try to get the car mechanically correct. Fix the brakes, wipers, electrical, whatever. Be smart. If you already decided to convert to disc brakes, don't spend much time with the drums. The theory here is if it worked before you took it apart, it should work when you put it back together (at least most of the time).

Determine what you want the car to be. Show, cruiser, daily driver etc. Get yourself a bunch of Mustang catalogs and start pricing. Go with your dream car. Add everything up and add 33%. Now start chopping off things you can do yourself or do without. Eventually, you'll come up to a plan you can live with (maybe). Leave yourself some flexibility in case you have to make modifications along the way.

Here's the order that worked for me.

• Get the car mechanically correct
  • Do the necessary body work. Restore and replace what's necessary.
  • Disassemble for paint
  • Body, prime, paint
  • Reassemble
You have to have a plan. You can't wing this or it will get out of hand in a heart beat. Keep $ records so you always know where you stand. Think things through. You can do this. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
539 Posts
Welcome to AFM. Great Forum with Great People. :smilie

First, I try to get the car mechanically correct. Fix the brakes, wipers, electrical, whatever. Be smart. If you already decided to convert to disc brakes, don't spend much time with the drums. The theory here is if it worked before you took it apart, it should work when you put it back together (at least most of the time).

Determine what you want the car to be. Show, cruiser, daily driver etc. Get yourself a bunch of Mustang catalogs and start pricing. Go with your dream car. Add everything up and add 33%. Now start chopping off things you can do yourself or do without. Eventually, you'll come up to a plan you can live with (maybe). Leave yourself some flexibility in case you have to make modifications along the way.

Here's the order that worked for me.

• Get the car mechanically correct
  • Do the necessary body work. Restore and replace what's necessary.
  • Disassemble for paint
  • Body, prime, paint
  • Reassemble
You have to have a plan. You can't wing this or it will get out of hand in a heart beat. Keep $ records so you always know where you stand. Think things through. You can do this. :bigthumbsup
^^^^^^ Absolutely agree!!!

In a nutshell, you want to start with the dirty work and end with the finish paint.
And as for the money, it will always cost you more than you think. It's better to have more saved up so you don't run into any road blocks that stop the project. And with the money left over you can splurge and buy some parts that will bring your car to the next level!:winks:yup:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Do all the mechanical first. Go through each individual system one at a time, finish that and move on to the next system . Brakes, cooling, electrical etc.......Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts