Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I am new to the forum, this is a great site, has lots of good information’s. I am working on a 1965 Mustang Fastback and I ran into this problem, may be you guys can able to help me on this:

I was adjusting newly installed hurst competition shifter and all of a sudden that I am not able to press the clutch pedal. Before this happens, I didn't have any problem pressing the clutch pedal, even after I installed the shifter, I was able to shift gears pressing clutch pedal. This is just happened, one time when I try to press the clutch pedal, not sure what just happened The previous owner told me that he installed, new clutch and flywheel, I don't know much history about the transmission, may need to be rebuild, its a 4-speed toploader. I verified the followings:

1) I remove the linkage (rod) between Z-bar and the clutch lever, and verify the Z-bar movement, its freely moving
2) I try move the clutch lever by hand, I see it was moving back and forth little bit ( may be a inch or two)
3) I press the clutch pedal, its was freely moving
4) Then I connect the linkage back again to the clutch lever, and try to press the clutch pedal and its not moving

I can shift the gears without pressing the clutch, and its now sitting in neutral, did anybody ran into this problem before or have any idea what might happening here, I appreciate any help that I can get.

Thanks Very Much

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello.:) :welcome: If everything works with the equalizer rod disconnected from the Z-bar, as in the Z-bar rotates as it should and the clutch pedal itself travels freely, then your problem is either the throw-out bearing or the clutch itself. It would take a pretty strange set of circumstances for it to be the clutch, based on what you seem to be describing, though. It sounds like the throw-out bearing has gone stupid on you. Either way, you have to pull the transmission, so you might as well go ahead and come on with it.:gringreen Once you get the transmission out of the way and the bell housing is off, it will be obvious what the problem is. Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
298 Posts
welcome to AFM!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I think that what I have to do, remove the transmission and see. Also, I talk to the local transmission place to overhaul the transmission. They told me that is going to cost me around $700, is this something reasonable price.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again.:) So far, you haven't mentioned anything that would call for tearing into the transmission. The throw-out bearing is hanging on the end of the clutch fork. Once you remove the transmission from the car, your problem area is still attached to the car. You just need to get the transmission out of the way in order to get to the clutch assembly. It is possible that, once you get the transmission out, you will discover that the input shaft, which goes through the middle of the throw-out bearing and clutch, is all messed up and that this is actually the cause of your problem, but, unless that turns out to be the case after you get the transmission out, I wouldn't have someone rebuild the transmission, unless it's displaying problems that you haven't mentioned yet.:)

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again.:) BTW, When you snatch the transmission out of the car, be aware of the fact that they are usually slippery and always heavy.:gringreen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, Initially, I am not sure how big a job is to remove the transmission, thats why I though its may be good idea to take it to the professional and walk through the transmission.

Sounds like, first, I should be remove the transmission and look at the problem.

Once I removed the transmission, if its a input shaft problem, how do I identify that? Since I never remove the transmission before, do I need any special tool that I should consider before try this.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.