Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 65 C-code automatic. Front end bounces and sqeaks like a son of a gun. Rear end sags and jumps around.

Re rear end, want to go with new 4-leaf springs with new bushings.

Re front end, want to install new UCAs and LCAs, but also want to do the Shelby drop.

Any suggestions on particular parts to get, or should I just go for catalogue parts? Dallas Mustang is not too far away and I could get the repro parts there.

But...any suggestions for a stock, daily driver?

Any input much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Here's a good beginners article on mustang suspensions, the Shelby/Arning 1" drop is a great start, it'll put your tires flatter on the ground but you have to be sure that the car is aligned to the new custom specs or it'll drive like crap at the stock settings.
http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/suspension101

I'd look for Moog or McQuay Norris UCA/LCA the repops can be cheap (I've got the LCA repop and the bushing is sliding in the inner mount allowing it to rub metal/metal in the bracket).
Welcome and have fun,
Jonhttp://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/suspension101

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have stock replacements from Mustangs Unlimited that work great. I'm sure it's the same or similar as the ones from Dallas Mustangs. I also have 1" drop springs in the front, and kyb shocks. A lot of people like the Edelbrock shocks better because the kyb shocks are a little stiff. Also get some roller spring perches when you get your parts. They are cheap, but help a lot. Just some things for you to think about.

Go to DazeCars, Ford Galaxie Mustang tech and restoration for great information on what you are looking to do.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Great info from Jon and Kevin. I would add that some folks "box in" their LCA by cutting and welding a plate of 10 ga or 12 ga steel on the lower channel area. I got mine put together before I learned of the trick, but it's fairly easy and a good improvement. And I would have to add also that money is the maker here. I drew the line at stock repro parts with mods that I could do, but there are great suspension upgrades that don't involve stock parts that would be really nice if the dollars are available. I've also heard that the variable rate coil springs are great for daily drivers, but mine are standard 1" drop springs and they haven't hit the road yet.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
For budget suspension stuff, look at opentrackerracingproducts.com. They've got boxed control arms, roller perches, roller arm mounts, drop kits, pretty much everything. You could build an excellent suspension with their parts for under $1200.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
+1

For budget suspension stuff, look at opentrackerracingproducts.com. They've got boxed control arms, roller perches, roller arm mounts, drop kits, pretty much everything. You could build an excellent suspension with their parts for under $1200.
+1
Opentracker Racing Products

I would also get a roller ider arm - I think I got tie rod ends, sway bar, roller perches, roller idler, UCAs, LCAs, shocks, 1" lowering springs, for around $950 - good quality parts, also.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great Info -- thanks to all

Thanks again for all the great info.

I'm curious about "boxing in" the UCAs. What does this do? Do you need to weld the metal to the tower and does it take away from the stock look?

I'll check out the suggestions for specialty parts. Altho I want to keep it reasonably stock, I don't want to suffer from poor quality repro parts on a performance part that doesn't affect aesthetics.

Still a bit confused about the "drop." I saw that Daze has a template. Is this a simple drill into the tower, or does it need some reinforcement? and does this need to be absolutely exact -- in other words, is there any tolerance room?

Will definitely use Daze's alignment specs.

Any more advice on front shocks?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roller perches

Hey, one more question (for now):

Are roller perches worth the additional $$. I know they're recommended, but do they add that much to the total suspension performance? Thanks.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Thanks again for all the great info.

I'm curious about "boxing in" the UCAs. What does this do? Do you need to weld the metal to the tower and does it take away from the stock look?

I'll check out the suggestions for specialty parts. Altho I want to keep it reasonably stock, I don't want to suffer from poor quality repro parts on a performance part that doesn't affect aesthetics.

Still a bit confused about the "drop." I saw that Daze has a template. Is this a simple drill into the tower, or does it need some reinforcement? and does this need to be absolutely exact -- in other words, is there any tolerance room?

Will definitely use Daze's alignment specs.

Any more advice on front shocks?
Boxing the UCA has nothing to do with the tower, it is performed on the part itself
http://www.dodgestang.com/crash/repairs/newfrontend2.jpg

Opentracker parts will look stock, but just be better, boxing helps eliminate the flex that in the stamped steel parts. People run tubular suspension for this reason but the boxing is a low cost alternative that can help keep the car looking stock.

Shelby drop is a simple, mark holes, drill, bolt UCA into new location procedure, the holes have to be in the right place otherwise the arm won't bolt in. It's not that hard to do (meaning to do it right and have the holes be correct)

Shocks: I used KYB gas adjust...they were ok. I spent more and bought Edlebrock IAS shocks and never looked back because of how much I like them.

And yes Roller perches are worth every penny and then some.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nick, just the info I needed. Thanks. So, UCAs will be boxed from Opentracker?

Sounds like the right solution. Thanks for info on the drop. Also like your advice re shocks. They are pricy, but I've heard good things about the edelbrocks.

Another question, re springs: mine are original -- should I go with progressives? Opentracker has a couple alternatives, starting at 480. Want a "cruiser" ride, so should I go with these softer springs to match the drop? Thanks again.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Nick, just the info I needed. Thanks. So, UCAs will be boxed from Opentracker?

Sounds like the right solution. Thanks for info on the drop. Also like your advice re shocks. They are pricy, but I've heard good things about the edelbrocks.

Another question, re springs: mine are original -- should I go with progressives? Opentracker has a couple alternatives, starting at 480. Want a "cruiser" ride, so should I go with these softer springs to match the drop? Thanks again.
I've never built a cruiser so I can't offer too much other than to say....you don't want 620s ;)

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
itsa65, sent you a PM, I'll be in FW next week if you'd like to chat.
Jon

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Jon, sounds good. Pop-up blocker giving me trouble opening PM. I'll keep trying.
Copied/paste'd and sent it to your email link, see if it made it through.
Jon

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Nick. By cruiser, I mean basic street ride with comfortable ride. I thought those 620s would be too stiff.

·
Registered
337 Posts
For all suspension stuff, contact John of Opentracker Racing Products. After listening to you, he'll give you his best recommendation.

He's a no BS individual who doesn't like to see you waste $$ if you don't need it. Instead of spending $$ on expensive parts that you might not need, he'll suggest you put some $$ to some driving time at your local raceway.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I just installed 620's on my 66. Absolutely love them. Better stance and a great ride.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey sixtsixstang, thanks for the input. Do the 620s make the front end stiff, and do you feel all the road noise, all the little bumps? I'm thinking of these springs for performance, but I spend most of the time driving the kids around and want a soft ride. In normal driving with a daily driver, completely non-performance oriented, would you recommend the 480s? Thanks.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I use my car for the same reasons as you. Cruising around. I go to all the car shows and cruise-ins in my area. My main objective for getting the 620's was to stiffen the front end a little to reduce the car form leaning in tuurns, and lower it 1" for a better stance. I have a nice smooth ride and do not feel the road anny more than with the original springs. I feel the 620's are a great choice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts