Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am interested in swapping in a 302 or a 351W into my 1965 stang. I really want a 351 but i hear there are issues with clearance in the bay. I heard some have had to port-a-power apart the shock towers to get the motor to fit. Anyone have any good info on this swap?? Also, where can I get motor mounts for a 302 or 351 swap into a 65?
Thanks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The 302 is the same block as the 289 so it is a direct bolt in with the 289 mounts and uses the same accessory brackets, exhaust manifolds(or headers), etc. as the 289.

The 351W uses the same mounts as the 289 and you can use the same exhaust manifolds, BUT it will restrict the breathing considerably(performance in mind). I installed a 351W in my brothers '65 Mustang and it is tight, but there is sufficient clearance for plug changes, oil changes, and regular maintenance work. Hedman makes a set of headers for the 351W to '65 Mustang swap that I would reccomend. The shock tower spreading is only neccessary IF they have collapsed inward, not in order to fit the 351W. The 351C engine however will NOT fit without considerable work.

You will need all the accessory brackets from a 351W to mount up the alternator and power steering pump( if present) and line up your pulleys. The tightest clearance issues are between the steering gear and drivers exhaust manifold flange(the Hedman headers would solve) and the air cleaner to hood(351W is about 2" taller than the 289/302). That depends somewhat on your intake manifold choice.

Your front suspension needs to be in good shape since the 351W is about 70 pounds heavier than the 289, using an aluminum intake and heads would be beneficial to reduce weight.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks for that info. Do you know the stock width between the towers? I heard it should be around 40 inches. The other thing I am interested in is a C4 AT to tremec T-5 swap. A couple sites ive seen have hydraulic clutch kits and there are mounts to put the t-5 into classic stangs. Do you think I could do it without too much frustration?

·
Registered
360 Posts
The T5 swap is quite popular so the pieces to accomplish should be easy to get. It is usually installed with a cable operated clutch like the newer Stangs use, several kits are available to retrofit to an early Mustang. Remember that you will need to get a manual trans brake/clutch pedal assembly.

I do not know the width off hand but I do have a Monte Carlo bar that I could measure the length of, that would tell you the distance between the inner/outer fender seams just forward of the shock towers.

It depends on what you call frustration:) If you are a fairly confident wrench, it is not bad as long as you have the TIME to think each change to stock thru BEFORE you take the step. As long as you have the tools, space and the TIME, it should be kinda fun IMO.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I did not say it wouldn't fit:) It just requires more specialized pieces than the 351W. :winks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.