Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have a 1965 ford mustang and im not sure if i shoul keep the 2 barrel or switch to a four. Im being told 2 ifferent things, from 2 different parties. One keeps saying the 4 barrel will waste more gas? Is that true? All depends on how you drive it correct? and does the 4 barrel get better mileage because of the better air flow? I know not much about cars and any help would be greatly appreciate

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
A 4-barrel won't use that much more gas until you get on it and open the secondaries. Otherwise you're essentially only running on the primaries, just like with a 2bbl.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you have the money, I'd go for the four barrel with an aluminum intake. It's not a whole lot of cash and a lot of people do it. If you go with a vacuum secondary four barrel, your second set of valves won't open unless the engine really needs it. You're essentially running a two barrel carb with the option to go all out if you go full throttle. It's a worthy upgrade.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
normally.....going from a ford 2 barrel to a 4 barrel, driven decently will give an INCREASE in milage. an edelbrock performer with an electric choke 500 edelbrock would work great!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the replies guys!!! I ended up upgrading to a 4 barrel aluminum elderblock carburator 1406. Can't wait to have it put in along with the new intake!!! Any other advice on upgrades I should look into? Just had the engine rebuilt

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Throw a fresh inline fuel filter on there when you install the carb!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok cool I just got a high performance inline fuel filter a few weeks ago thanks!!!

Ok will def look into that John and it will be on my list of things to do!!! Thank you guys so much!!!!

Any other advice? Ears wide open

·
Registered
126 Posts
Goodafternoon The 4 brll. primary (front) barrels on the ford 2 barrel are smaller than the primaries on the 2 brll. So if driven easy (hehehehwho can) one gets a little better gas mileage

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks so much for the replies guys!!! I ended up upgrading to a 4 barrel aluminum elderblock carburator 1406. Can't wait to have it put in along with the new intake!!! Any other advice on upgrades I should look into? Just had the engine rebuilt
Good choice, you'll be happy with that. Did you get an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake as well?

Without knowing what you have done to the engine and how much you want to spend I would consider:
headers, roller rocker arms, electronic ignition to replace the points like Jonk said, maybe an MSD ignition box. That is going to be about the extent of parts unless you start getting into heads and a cam.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts