Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a 302/5.0/5L Ford engine out of a 1991 Ford E150 into my 1965 Mustang. I have also installed a Ford AOD transmission from a 1985 Mercury (Monterey sp?). I want to use a Holley list# 9834 carburator. I have and plan to use the original TV linkage (not cable).
I connected the linkage to the carburator transmission lever (kick-down lever?) on one side and the other end to the TV lever on the transmission. By making adjustments at both the carb and tranny sides I was able to get the transmission lever to rest at the internal low pressure stop when the carb tthrottle was at the idle position and likewise to get the tranny TV lever to reach the high pressure internal stop with the carb at the wide open position. This seems like it should be OK to me but the original Throttle Body (TBI) had TV lever overtrarvel at the tranny side when I went thru the same process. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to get as much info out there the first time around.

L

·
0 Posts
Ok, how are you checking the TV pressure? Full travel is not an issue, as long as you have about 6psi at the TV port at idle. Bruce

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Pics of your setup would help to verify where you've hooked everything up. Definately don't drive it until you're sure the TV is set right with a gauge or you could fry the trans in <1mi. of 'test' driving.

Here are some good pics I saved of a forum members install, wish I would have seen them before installing mine, he put the cables on first...I think he moved the shift lever attach point up ~3/4"-1" to make the selector line up with the gears also in last pic.

By the way, HI Neighbor! I'll be in Knoxville area Fri/Sat this weekend working on my MIL rental house to get it sold...but won't have my car with me yet...
Jon

Attachments

L

·
0 Posts
Here are my transmission pics. I am using a factory f-150 mounting bracket that I cut down to make the cable hug the transmission. The cable is also off of an f-150 with efi. I haven't got the top end fabbed yet as I am still going through the engine. Hope these help. Bruce

Attachments

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The kick-down linkage on Holley carbs is NOT compatible with the AOD throttle pressure control. You will destroy your transmission if you try to use it. You need to get a lever kit for the carb to provide the proper rate of advance for correct TPV control.
Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts